Public land available?

Naknekm

I was thinking of hunting Iowa in early December. I am wondering if in the west central or northwest part of the state there are decent public areas to hunt? is there anything like the plots or walk-in areas, like the states to the west?

thanks in advance.BC4568DE-69B9-4ABE-8D57-E476478F733D.jpegCACC5D4E-0457-4F2F-A3CF-98B19FBAEBAD.jpegCACC5D4E-0457-4F2F-A3CF-98B19FBAEBAD.jpeg

That is Sharptail country. I get that the Pheasants aren’t in the short grass. But, my original question, am I likely to find public land to hunt Pheasants in W. Central Iowa?

The Iowa DNR Hunting Atlas is good. ONX is great. This will be my first season hunting pheasants in NW Iowa. There seems to be a decent amount of public ground, but I can't speak for how much pressure it gets?

I've mainly hunted NW and NC Iowa, and there's plenty of spots to try. The DNR has an online map that is good, but if you like paper maps, order a copy of the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas, in my opinion it's one of the best paper map books ever made.

I've mainly hunted NW and NC Iowa, and there's plenty of spots to try. The DNR has an online map that is good, but if you like paper maps, order a copy of the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas, in my opinion it's one of the best paper map books ever made.

I will second that. The Iowa Sportsman Atlas is excellent. It shows the location of publicly accessible land in all Iowa counties. This includes State WMAs, Federal Waterfowl Production Areas, county lands, and IHAP lands. It also includes a description of the property with game types likely to be present.

IHAP is the Iowa equivalent of PLOTS.

Get an Iowa sportsman atlas and find Storm Lake. Draw a 50 mile circle around in and try any of the public areas and especially those with water features and you should do well. Good Luck

I will second that. The Iowa Sportsman Atlas is excellent. It shows the location of publicly accessible land in all Iowa counties. This includes State WMAs, Federal Waterfowl Production Areas, county lands, and IHAP lands. It also includes a description of the property with game types likely to be present.

IHAP is the Iowa equivalent of PLOTS.
How does the book differ then the site on the web? Other information?

The "Places to Hunt & Shoot" above is a link, click that and then click the "Public Hinting Atlas". It shows the entire state and all the public ground. Zoom in on your area and click on any of the colored areas. Click the "Habitat & Access Program (IHAP)" to track-down and IHAP areas around you.

The "Places to Hunt & Shoot" above is a link, click that and then click the "Public Hinting Atlas". It shows the entire state and all the public ground. Zoom in on your area and click on any of the colored areas. Click the "Habitat & Access Program (IHAP)" to track-down and IHAP areas around you.
Apologies but I do not see the link?

How does the book differ then the site on the web? Other information?

The information is likely the same. I am confident that the information online is updated regularly.

Personally I use the Iowa Sportsman Atlas and OnX. My notes in my well worn Atlas are invaluable.

OnX is regularly updated and allows me to keep my copy of the Atlas current. It also allows me to determine land boundaries while in the field.

OnX is regularly updated and allows me to keep my copy of the Atlas current. It also allows me to determine land boundaries while in the field.
One caution, OnX screwed me over this year in Iowa, it was not up to date. I saw two roosters fly into a field and OnX said it was private, it was not. The Iowa DNR online hunt atlas is your most accurate tool. I love maps so I use everything at my disposal. This was in Osceola county and OnX was wrong on 2 different properties. I will likely never hunt that county again, but just wanted others to know. OnX is a great tool, but don't assume it is 100% accurate. People have gotten trespassing tickets due to trusting it before. I love the paper Iowa sportsmans atlas. I scribble notes in it all the time.

Trip was awesome. Just me and my year and a half old black lab. Hit public places as well as a couple private spots from a farmer I met out there. Scratched out a few roosters but definitely saw way more hens. The pup loved the action and that made it all worth it.

All intentions to make it out there one more time before the season is over.

Back