Protecting your dog in the field... vests, booties, ect?

I have tried the 1000's. I emailed them and they said that would be best for sand burrs. They worked well. The ones on back had holes after one day but they are cheap. I am trying the inner tube thing next.

inner tubes work well too.:thumbsup:
motorcycle tubes for dog boots, goggle them and you can see how to cut and fit them.

I use the Lewis vented boots. I don't boot my dogs all of the time because part of that trip is the final stage in getting their feet tough as nails for the rest of the season. I can't imagine having to boot my dogs every time out ... plus in MT we had 16 dogs between 4 of us -- booting 16 dogs every day would be a darn hassle -- especially when they don't really need it until they need it.

I think we had two dogs that needed boots by the end of the trip this year. That's about normal.

The inner tube idea is a great one too. the only trouble is that I find that it won't stop cactus spine penetration. Same thing with the denier booties -- cactus goes right through them -- especially on the sides.

When we lived in Alaska adnit was -50F, it would take 15 minutes to get ready to take dogs out.

Booties, neoprene vest, and my wife made neck gaiters. All this on 2 GSP.
The I had to get dressed!
Got a analog picture somewhere. have to find and post it. it is hilarious!
Best part is watching them walk in booties for the first couple of steps!

I try not to use anything unless they are injured or I am asking my Britts to sit and hunt ducks by a pond (then the camo neoprene vests are used if chilly).

This season I did put blaze orange on them during deer and muzzle loader seasons. Never saw a deer hunter.

I do own RiversWest Vest, Skid plates, booties, RuffWear blaze "jacket". All get used at times.

The RiversWest Vest did a nice job protecting my dogs injury.

Brittman, where do you hunt? I hunt in western oklahoma and I deal with some rough terrain. Doesn't look too bad till your in the thick of it. I would love to let my brittany out of the truck and just go. May have to try it sometime and see how he does. Does Tuf-Foot work?

inner tubes work well too.:thumbsup:
motorcycle tubes for dog boots, goggle them and you can see how to cut and fit them.

I will second that! The only time I needed booties was Arizona quail, there isn't a smooth rock in that state! Some intertube, some vet tape and some duct tape, saved the trip. The dog wasn't thrilled but it worked (90 lean pounds, didn't do well in Arizona heat).
DSCN2840_zps4cjkrbl6.jpg

BTW, the bell is to let an illegals, know you are coming...

I order my boots from Mountain ridge sled dog supply. They have thin boots that are good for snow and ice and thick ones that are good for the rought stuff.

I use a chest protector. Especially on my female that has whelped a litter.

What I like about those boots are they are super cheap, so if you lose one, it isnt a big deal. I buy htem in bulks of 50-100

My pup wears a SkidPlate for upland hunting, and wears a neoprene vest when waterfowing.

Other than that, I apply Tuf-foot to her paws throughout the year (I figure it's worth the $10), and in the grouse woods she wears a bell (protection against stupid hunters!).

My pup wears a SkidPlate for upland hunting, and wears a neoprene vest when waterfowing.

Other than that, I apply Tuf-foot to her paws throughout the year (I figure it's worth the $10), and in the grouse woods she wears a bell (protection against stupid hunters!).

Is Tuf-foot a conditioner to guard against cuts? I just got done with stitches on my pup from what I can only guess is an ice cut. Poor dog has to wear the cone for the next 3 weeks :(

www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html

i don't put that many miles on my dogs....i hunt mainly SD and i alternate them field to field......so they stay fresh for 8-10 days....i like the 330 denier...they wear out quicker, but they are very flexible.....they come with a velcro stretch strap....i seldom lose a boot....unless its muddy....i get 2-3 days out of a set...so i am satisfied....they make 500 and 1000 denier, but they are too stiff and abrasive on my dogs pads....try the 500's if you want them to last....they (the 330's) work great for me, no limping dogs!

Thought I'd bump an old thread... thanks to hunter94... I gave dogbooties.com a try and they're fantastic. 2-3 hunts is what I'm getting as well out of them (330's). Easy on, and they stay on extremely well with just the Velcro strap. Anyone looking should give these a try....
I love the skidplate but like others, no matter how much I adjust these things rub a bit. My smaller GSP more than the older bigger dog. May need to do some cutting on the vest or look for another option. I love the protection these provide though...
Be safe in the field... best wishes!

I'm thinking of trying a chest plate. He doesn't seem to be bothered yet. Hate to add more gear on him.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trying a chest plate. He doesn't seem to be bothered yet. Hate to add more gear on him.

I wouldn't worry about having to much gear on your pooch. These chest protectors really do their job. Especially if you're working fields with barb wired fences, etc. IMO you can't beat the Skidplates, except for the little rubbing they may get. My 2nd GSP is more narrow in the chest than my older dog so she has more issues. As she grows a tad more, it may become less of an issue. However I did order a Pointer Vest (someone else recommended in this thread) to see if it's a little better fit for her. Keep in mind, my 9 month old GSP is VERY small for the breed... she's a whopping 36 lbs right now and I don't expect her to get much past 40lbs now. Good luck!

Nothing. Once and a while a neo vest. But 99.9% of the time, nothing. Toughen em up before season and it seems you have no issues during season. My only issue is sharp stuf like barbed wire, farm junk. I now just stay as clear as I can. Wire gets me with or without a vest. So screw it.

Back