Preserves

gsphunter23

Looking to get out to some preserves throughout the year to hunt with my 5 year old GSP. Poor dog hasn't seen a wild bird in Colorado for almost 2 years. Can anyone give me some recommendations for Non-Guided hunts at a reasonable price?

Please also PM me if you are interested in going to some preserves....I know some of them require more then 1 gun on weekends.

Looking to get out to some preserves throughout the year to hunt with my 5 year old GSP. Poor dog hasn't seen a wild bird in Colorado for almost 2 years. Can anyone give me some recommendations for Non-Guided hunts at a reasonable price?

Please also PM me if you are interested in going to some preserves....I know some of them require more then 1 gun on weekends.

What part of Colorado are you located in? I can recommend some places, however they are down around the Colorado Springs area.

I know there are several guys on here who know more about the places up and around the Denver area.

Greg

I'm in Thornton as well. I used to hunt at Strasberg game birds:

Non-guided 4 hours for $200.00
Your choice of 7 Pheasants, OR 9 Chukar, OR 12 Quail (when in stock)

I joined Steel Fork Pheasant club last year and plan on doing that again this year. It is a little bit of a drive (2 hours from Thornton) but you have the field for the whole day. There is a nice club house with a kitchen and bird cleaning stations. $85 gets you 5 pheasants and chukar are $11 each. There are 15,000 acres to hunt. Open fields, tree lines, fence lines, whatever you want to hunt. The people that run the place are extremely nice and very family friendly! I usually work the dog on some chukar in the morning, head to the club house for some lunch and go after some pheasant in the afternoon.

I know there are a couple others up north and some in Kiowa. If you want more info on Steel Fork, let me know and I'll answer whatever questions I can.

I am in Thornton. I am willing to travel up to two hours if the price is right.

I think you will find a number of them on the internet, there are quite a few around and the price seems to be all over the map. one thing to try and figure is that with our dry weather, some of them have really poor cover.

cheers

Rocky Ford Upland Adventures

If you can hunt weekdays, we can do self guided scratch hunts for $100 per gun, 5 bird limit. Weekend hunts are all guided or semi-guided (with a bird release). Semi-guided hunts are $180/gun and include a bird release. Guided hunts (your dog is welcome to join in) are $225/gun and include a hot lunch, bird release, and bird processing. All hunts have a 5 bird limit unless you purchase a special 100-300 bird hunt. We even offer full weekend hunts, including accommodations and some meals. All weekend hunts have a 4 paid gun minimum, but kids 16 and under hunt for free when they share in the limit and accompany a paid adult.

We have some of the best cover we've seen in over 5 years in Rocky Ford, so you're sure to find a challenging hunt! Check out our page on Facebook for some great photos and to learn more about our club.

I'm in Thornton as well. I used to hunt at Strasberg game birds:

Non-guided 4 hours for $200.00
Your choice of 7 Pheasants, OR 9 Chukar, OR 12 Quail (when in stock)

I joined Steel Fork Pheasant club last year and plan on doing that again this year. It is a little bit of a drive (2 hours from Thornton) but you have the field for the whole day. There is a nice club house with a kitchen and bird cleaning stations. $85 gets you 5 pheasants and chukar are $11 each. There are 15,000 acres to hunt. Open fields, tree lines, fence lines, whatever you want to hunt. The people that run the place are extremely nice and very family friendly! I usually work the dog on some chukar in the morning, head to the club house for some lunch and go after some pheasant in the afternoon.

I know there are a couple others up north and some in Kiowa. If you want more info on Steel Fork, let me know and I'll answer whatever questions I can.

I second duk's recommendation for Steel Fork. I was looking for a place to work my dog last year, and duk recommended Steel Fork. After one hunt there, I pulled out my checkbook and joined up for the year.

It's not the closest place, but the relaxed format of the hunts (no guides, no time limits), the huge amount of acreage, the strong flying birds, and the great people that run the place make the drive worthwhile.

I would suggest trying a few different places before you decide, but you can't go wrong with Steel Fork.

Cheers,
:cheers:

Colorado Wingsport

Www.coloradowingsport.com. Guys name is Jason Krill. Located off 168th and Colorado Blvd (WCR 15). You can do one time hunt or member deal. Has good birds and is very flexible about what you can do. Cover is normally pretty good as they flood irrigate a lot of their fields. Can't get much closer than that.

Steel Forks

I love it out there. It's time and money well spent. I love the no time limits, atmosphere, and the different terrains to hunt. Some great places to take my 4 year old, and also some more challenging areas.

Www.coloradowingsport.com. Guys name is Jason Krill. Located off 168th and Colorado Blvd (WCR 15). You can do one time hunt or member deal. Has good birds and is very flexible about what you can do. Cover is normally pretty good as they flood irrigate a lot of their fields. Can't get much closer than that.

+ ColoradoWingsport.com -- he also has a no frills clay 5-stand and a clubhouse. Best deal and closest.

Try quail run in Elizabeth, they have a inexpensive membership fees under $300 for a family. They are flexible about bringing guests, they also have a clay circuit, hand gun range, rifle range, and an archery range. I took my step dad out and we did a twelve bird hunt for $230. Half chukar half pheasant with nice thick cover I all there fields, they also have a training area. Or you can do scratch hunt and pay for birds you shoot. Last few years during the drought conditions I went there because it was cheaper than filling the truck with gas.

Back