Preserve vs. Outfitter vs. Public Walk In

Pheasants4ever

Administrator
What do you prefer for your pheasant hunting trip? Some of us are extremely fortunate to have access to all, but if you had to pick only one which one would you choose?

Last edited:
What do you prefer for your pheasant hunting trip? Some of us are extremely fortunate to have access to all, but if you had to pick only one which one would you choose?

Public land for me. I like the challenge of it, the freedom to roam and the satisfaction I get from prospecting for my own birds. A limit of well educated public land pheasants is a real accomplishment and one a hunter can't take for granted.

To me a Preserve has the following purpose. Tune up the dog preseason, entertain business clients or socialize with friends. In no way should it be confused with serious hunting.

As long as they are delivering true wild hunts I'm good with outfitters. They provide a legitimate service. Encourage habitat conservation and development. Last but not least they allow novices and one time pheasant hunters to experience success that they might not otherwise have tromping high traffic public areas.

DB

I couldn't agree more. I prefer the wild birds anyday, even if that means I come home empty handed. It's called hunting not killing.

Public land most definitely. What I like is BIG expansive public hunting areas where I can go to an area and find a rooster and then move on to another area and look for another rooster. Finishing up in one last area for the day and knock down my third and last rooster for the day. My motto when I hunt is "one bird!"

That's the way I did it when I lived in New Underwood, South Dakota and hunted LaCreek Wildlife Refuge down by Martin, SD. for several years. Add a boat load of walk-in areas all around it and I never had a problem finding an area to hunt.

Fast forward to present day and now I live in suck-arse Illinois where there is no decent public pheasant hunting due to too many hunters and not enough land and I have to settle on the Illinois DNR put-n-takes to get my fix at $15 per permit for two released birds of either sex that, if they stay on the property, I might have a chance at them.

That doesn't sound like a great deal, but it sure beats watching them on TV I guess.

Public land for me. We do have some private preserves here in MA, but they are a bit too pricey for me.
The key is finding hunting land that isn't swarmed with the orange army, but I've been dilligent enought to have many areas to my self when I go.

Public land, although the occasional permission on private is fun. I like the opportunity to look for the birds and actually hunt them, not be told to walk this certain area because there are hundreds there. I agree with the above post, it's called hunting not killing......

Public Land

Half way through the season and so far all the hunting I've done has been on public land. I've gotten my limit several times and came home empty only a couple. Overall, I've been averaging 2 birds an outing on the public land. This could be a little higher, but I've lost a few birds and missed a few birds. I try to hit the smaller areas that I can get in and out. Then move to the next one. I also try to mix it up which areas I go to. Finally, most of this hunting is done within a half hours drive from Sioux Falls.

I agree

It sounds like we all have similar tastes for the wild birds on public lands. It is unfortunate that my resident state of Wyoming sinks too much money in state operated bird farms rather than managing land and promoting habitat, and that is why I travel so broad and into every other adjacent state chasing all types of upland species. The focus/placement is similar to fishing areas where recruitment is not possible. Here in WY they raise birds for a put and take money pit hunting cycle. We understand low survivorship of wild birds and the no survivorship of pen raised birds regardless of hunter success, but that is the bass-ackwards management philosophy for now. There are some landowners that have done very well for themselves by good management practices and the growing number of wild birds are a pleasure to pursue. I do not pay privates or outfitters for the chance to shoot at their birds, but I do understand circumstances to compromise. I will always be a WY resident because of all the hunting opporunities, but will also continue to give my money and tourism business to other states while I wait for realistic sustainable management. My dogs and I are addicted to the sport and won't be able to quit these other states until physical unable or public access programs end. I will also continue emphasizing habitat to my own state's wildlife managers, landowners and any politician who pretends to listen.

I like to hunt on private land here in Nebraska. Our private land, joint owned by a few guys, does not have any pen raised, or released birds on it. It is simply CRP ground that we've purchased and try to keep it as habitable as possible for pheasants and quail. This creates my favorite kind of ground on which to hunt: all wild birds, but the only hunting pressure is from the owners who all hunt the ground together two or three times a year. It doesn't take the pounding like the walk-in areas, and we still get to shoot all wild birds, when they're there, of course! ;)

Back