Pheasants on the Front Range

gsphunter23

Took a walk with my wife and baby yesterday with our GSP. We walk along a path that has heavy brush on one side and a cornfield about a 1/4 mile away. As we reached a certain point he went on full point....when I gave him his flush command he jumped and went crazy as he would normally for a "hot spot" where a bird had been sitting. I figured it was probably a mouse.

A few seconds later he was on full point again, I again gave the flush command and 2 roosters, a hen and about 100 songbirds took off up into teh air. My wife almost had a heart attack as one of the roosters flew directly over us..cackling the entire way.

I could not believe that there are pheasants like that in our area. Does anyone here have permission to hunt on any properties in the Front Range?

When you say "Front Range"? That is alot of area you are talking about :eek::D:p

There are pheasants in certain spots/counties/SWA's....however to say "Front Range", well that is from Pueblo to Ft. Collins.

Greg

I have lived along the Front Range since the late 1970's.
Used to have a spot near Glilcrest and another just east of Ft Collins where I managed to kill quite a few roosters. The farmer in Gilcrest retired and sold his land in 1992...some rich guy bought the place...no more pheasant hunting or duck hunting there.
The other spot east of Ft Collins was sold to a developer in 2002....rows and rows of houses there now.
Also lost duck and goose hunting spots near Brighton and Erie to development....
I do see a few pheasants in my travels around the Front Range from time to time. Especially near wetlands and riparian areas. There are still a few around, but good luck getting permission to hunt unless you know someone.

I have lived along the Front Range since the late 1970's.
Used to have a spot near Glilcrest and another just east of Ft Collins where I managed to kill quite a few roosters. The farmer in Gilcrest retired and sold his land in 1992...some rich guy bought the place...no more pheasant hunting or duck hunting there.
The other spot east of Ft Collins was sold to a developer in 2002....rows and rows of houses there now.
Also lost duck and goose hunting spots near Brighton and Erie to development....
I do see a few pheasants in my travels around the Front Range from time to time. Especially near wetlands and riparian areas. There are still a few around, but good luck getting permission to hunt unless you know someone.

I think that is a very good assessment of how it is from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo. I have seen the same down here around Colorado Springs. Things have been pushed further and further eastward for any type of access to upland hunting (access being public, while there maybe private, like he said, good luck with getting permission or it will cost you an arm and a leg).

Greg

I live in Thornton. I would say Front range meaning from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs, from the foothills to about 15-20 miles east of I-25.

I have seen a few here and there on the east side of Longmont. Given that Longmont is in Boulder County, I'm guessing that there isn't much hunting of anything around there. ;-)

Also, saw a rooster in Westminster on the Big Dry Creek Open Space behind Front Range Community College.

Also, saw a rooster in Westminster on the Big Dry Creek Open Space behind Front Range Community College.

There is a good likely hood that came from a preserve hunt from Colorado wingsport as he has a couple thousand acres around big dry creek.

I See pheasants all the time here in longmont, Just by driving down 119 or up and down county rd 1. but as for getting any type of permit. highly doubt it. i am praying that one day with all this ponds in longmont i wish to have a SWA. "If i am going to dream, dream big!!! lol

I grew up in Erie just south of Longmont and I still see a pheasant or two every now and then but not like I did when I was younger. There use to be a strong huntable population around there but due to development, Crp loss, pointless pasture mowing, conversion of corn fields to alfalfa and terrible open space farming practices you have to get lucky to see one anymore.

My past gsp, Sadie, and myself used to find some in the Cherry Creek Park. I have not been able to find them anymore. Although, I have not tried as often as I usually take the weims somewhere else.

I saw these roosters in northwestern Longmont, and remembered this thread. I'm not positive they're wild, they didn't act so afraid, but they were still gorgeous, of course.

I have seen as many as 50 birds at a time in and around Longmont! City creep is going to get them soon.!

Nice pics!

I need to drive around on the east side of town to see if I can spot some more. I havent been driving much out by County Line Road lately since the bridge/road is still being repaired from the damage done by the flooding in September.

:cheers:

I saw these roosters in northwestern Longmont, and remembered this thread. I'm not positive they're wild, they didn't act so afraid, but they were still gorgeous, of course.

The ones out by county road are few and far between now, the county cut down a huge stand of russian olives that they use to hang out in. Easy pickings for the eagles out there now. Still see them by the waste water plant from time to time

The ones out by county road are few and far between now, the county cut down a huge stand of russian olives that they use to hang out in. Easy pickings for the eagles out there now. Still see them by the waste water plant from time to time

I have to say this, all native or nothing stuff is wide spread. And so is this silly destruction of prime pheasant Wintering habitat.
MAY VERY WELL be more damaging to the future of wild US pheasants then the loss of CRP.
Stay tuned, see how far I'm off.

Back