Pheasants....and archery too!!

That's pretty neat. I always stay at the Kelly Inn when I'm in the area and have encountered some very diverse languages at the breakfast buffet with archers from all over the place in town for tournaments. But to have the biggest of the big is a heckuvan honor. Now if the competitors just head northeast of town a few miles and get some of the finest chislic in the world at Fleeg's, the trip will be complete.

I see the women's world archery champion came from a "very small town" like Yankton. 1628698928522.png

Cool! I grew in Elk Point but haven't been back during pheasant season for YEARS. I'm considering a trip back down there this year to hunt some private land. I've heard the bird numbers have been way down because of all the floods a couple years ago but I've heard that they might be coming back up. What's your take on the situation considering the drought?

Cool! I grew in Elk Point but haven't been back during pheasant season for YEARS. I'm considering a trip back down there this year to hunt some private land. I've heard the bird numbers have been way down because of all the floods a couple years ago but I've heard that they might be coming back up. What's your take on the situation considering the drought?
Elk Point area wouldn't be my first choice, unless I had decent private land. Statewide though...plenty of pheasants. Where there's decent habitat, not coincidentally, there are usually decent bird numbers.

Elk Point area wouldn't be my first choice, unless I had decent private land. Statewide though...plenty of pheasants. Where there's decent habitat, not coincidentally, there are usually decent bird numbers.
finding tall grass going to be tough, emergency grazing in effect.

I've been reading everything I can find and watching the weather fairly close across the state. We have rooms booked in Chamberlain in late August but I'll likely make another later season trip and haven't decided where to go yet. It' would be kinda fun to visit some old haunts and I do have access to some private lands but I don't know if it's worth the time or not. Also my new black lab pup turns 1 in October so I want to get him on some decent numbers. Thanks!

....don't know if it's worth the time or not. Also my new black lab pup turns 1 in October so I want to get him on some decent numbers. Thanks!
It's always worth the time, especially when you're trying to get a dog on birds. Except for late August. That I'm aware of, preserves can't even starting "hunting" until Sept. 1.

Great event for Yankton to host. I am also a Yankton graduate and shot archer competitively while growing up there.

Back