Pheasant Draw/IPLA Hunts

Both are large multi unit properties. I hunted Pine Creek unit 4 in 2017. Good varied habitat including cattails and tall grasses. Bird numbers seemed somewhat low for the quality of habitat, but we did get 2. I did get selected for Goose Creek unit 1 next month. December. We saw 5 roosters and roughly 20-25 hens. The property is kind of divided into two sections (east/west) found all the birds with the exception of 3 along the creek on the south edge of the property. 3 of the roosters were along the creek on the southwest corner of the property. We found another rooster along the county road on the east side of the closest food plot to the parking area on the east side of the property. We got our final rooster in the furthest south east corner of the property along the creek below the speedway. Don’t count that spot out. It was full of small saplings and we didn’t figure there would be any birds there but we ended up flushing 5 birds way back in those saplings with one being a rooster which we took. Overall we though the property was great and it is nice that you can hunt half of it then take a lunch break then hunt the other half. If you need any more insight feel free to pm me. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
goose creek unit 2 and pine creek unit 1....both look good from overhead
I have never hunted unit 2 of Goose Creek but most of the birds we found on unit 1 were along the creek that makes up the north border of unit 2. A few birds actually flushed And flew to unit 2. We saw two people hunting the unit but they never came along the creek while we hunted and we hunted the entire allotted time. I know that doesn’t help much but if it was me I would hunt the unit anyway you like but just make sure not to pass by the creek on the north end.

My father, a family friend, my two wirehairs and I made the 3 hour and 20 minute drive today to hunt White County 1. We did not flush or see a single pheasant on the entire property. We hunted the entire allotted time and covered the entire property. We did see some pheasant droppings but very very little. We were disappointed. With that being said we did get into 4 coveys of quail. We still had a great time and were able to shoot a few birds. We are still in disbelief that the 130 acre parcel we hunted didn’t contain a single pheasant and very little sign that any pheasants even live there. The habitat seemed to be very adequate and the food plots had visible grain laying on the ground. Not sure if anyone has ever experienced anything like this or not. All in all still a great trip but we were hoping to get into some roosters.

My father, a family friend, my two wirehairs and I made the 3 hour and 20 minute drive today to hunt White County 1. We did not flush or see a single pheasant on the entire property. We hunted the entire allotted time and covered the entire property. We did see some pheasant droppings but very very little. We were disappointed. With that being said we did get into 4 coveys of quail. We still had a great time and were able to shoot a few birds. We are still in disbelief that the 130 acre parcel we hunted didn’t contain a single pheasant and very little sign that any pheasants even live there. The habitat seemed to be very adequate and the food plots had visible grain laying on the ground. Not sure if anyone has ever experienced anything like this or not. All in all still a great trip but we were hoping to get into some roosters.
I hunted one of the properties right next to the state line in Benton. Before I hunted there the locals told me that wasn't a good one. looked good to me but we saw a total of 5 birds I think. 1 cock and 4 hens. I have been to two others and seen LOTS. Last one was in Benton and we put up at least 50-60 nd stopped trying to even shoot any. Just worked dogs. The other one say probably 40 pheasants and 25-35 quail.

And in 30 years of trying i have never been drawn. Not once.

Back