Perfect Storm??

KBell

As I write this a severe winter storm with blizzard potential is upon Iowa. I just finished up 10 days--one was scouting-of incredibly tough deer hunting in NW Iowa. Saw nine deer total. Walked many miles of private and public ground. If this area is not at "deer management levels" then I will never know what that translates into for deer hunters.

Noticed like I have all season the effects the drought and farm management practices have had on pheasant cover. It will be a challenge for the birds to survive in some of these areas. I believe most of you would agree with this.

In two out-of-state hunts this year I was strongly reminded of what we Iowans experienced two years ago. In Kansas the bird numbers have just plummeted in the areas I was in. Complaints from landowners, neighbors and friends quickly brought back painful memories of what we have experienced in Iowa. Talk of the good ole days and what "used" to be were prevalent.

Surprisingly even worse in Nebraska. The two southern tiers of counties have been fantastic the past several seasons. So well in fact that pay-to-hunt operations and hunting related activities began to surface in the area--sound familiar?? This year when I first arrived the landowner asked and practically begged that we hunt some other place. I agreed to take a survey of population--no gun. Cover looked good--not great but good. Four birds in a area that we limited three times in last season. At the next place--it borders a pay-to-hunt operation, we bagged one and pointed three others. Same communications from locals concerning the dwindling bird pops. and concern for the future.

It will be interesting--I hope not devastating--to see how the birds make it through this two day storm. It covers a wide range of our pheasant belt(not South Dakota) and has 40+ winds with heavy snow. Please report if you venture out to check on the birds after this storm.:)

I know when my head hits the pillow tonight I will say a prayer for them.

KBell
I'll be checking on the birds tomorrow morning, depending on how far I can make it. The area I want to go to is about 50 miles away so that might be a stretch. Friday will be an afternoon spent in the tree stand with the muzzleloader waiting to see if any 'ol wily whitetail will come out after a long hunker down period.

Should certainly provide some good hunting if a guy can stand the elements.

Need this wind to die down! Can't happen soon enough.

I've tomorrow off from work and am thinking of hitting some cattails up. We'll see.

Back