Partridge

What area of the state were you in? I've only seen a couple ever here in NC Iowa, and by the time I realized what they were, they were long gone.

You guys must be in the partridge belt. When I was younger, we'd see partridge practically every time we went out. Now some years I see exactly none. I've seen 1 this season - flew across the road in front of me. Not 1 covey. Just 1.

Have been lucky the last couple years often seeing coveys up to 10 or 15 at a time.

Congrats... fun stuff! I saw a decent number of them last season but didn't fire a shot. My Britt used to surprise me at least 2-3 times a year when she'd sneak up on a covey and we used to bag a few most seasons. My young GSP locked up on a small group (5) last season so I didn't shoot. But I did saw some decent coveys in the open fields last year. They'll certainly take you off guard when you're waiting for the pheasant to flush. ;)

Nice... Haven't seen any in Iowa while hunting this season but, this summer saw 2 small coveys on the roadside within a few miles of my house. Haven't seen them since the crops went out. Had never seen them before (grew up in MO) kinda thought maybe I was just imagining that a brood of phez were partridge at first.

Back