P.c. hagenbecki

Please provide a report in 10 years on how that is working out for you.

I have a wind break planted seven years ago and one of the rows was russian olive. So far it is working out just fine the wind break is doing fine and there have been just two (2) russian olive trees that have started up out of the row they were planted in, not very invasive so far.:rolleyes:

I have a wind break planted seven years ago and one of the rows was russian olive. So far it is working out just fine the wind break is doing fine and there have been just two (2) russian olive trees that have started up out of the row they were planted in, not very invasive so far.:rolleyes:

Good for you. It seems like it is safe in your area and you should plant more. The site of my nuclear plant has nearly lost 50 acres to this scourge over 10 years and it has made heavy inroads on the other 200 acres. No doubt in another 10 years there won't even be a blade of grass between the plant and the river.

I think one of the reasons Russian Olive in MT WY and Dakotas, really isn't a threat to native vegetation is all the wildlife that eat the seeds. By Spring or late Winter the trees are picked clean.
Lots of shelter groves of Russian Olives in that country. But very few volunteer Olive trees.
During the bad Winters [last year] pheasants and native grouse flock into these groves. I dare say pheasant populations in the West would be very spotty if not for the Russian Olives.

So the USDA and USF&WS have declared war on the Russian Olive, plans are to eradicate RO's on federal land. It's also illegal now for nurseries to sell RO seeds or plants.

Thing is, most RQ"s are on private land. How many landowners are going to Doze their windbreak.:eek:

Sure! where RO's are a threat to wildlife and useful plants go ahead and get rid of them.:)

Fact is, if your a pheasant hunter, woody seed bearing trees like the RO are imperative to pheasants, pheasant habitat, pheasant hunting, and the future of pheasant hunting.

There is a quite a "ALL NATURAL ALL NATIVE" movement going on in the USA
Pheasants just don't fit in.:(

Back