Over before it begins?

Point!

Although I got away from serious bird hunting after 30 years of spending 40+ days afield, I still visit this form on occasion and watch conditions closely. I still get out a few times a year and take a trip or two to S. Dakota to chase ringnecks.

Looking at conditions west of roughly highway 75 to the Colorado boarder, it looks like it's shaping up to be a very poor season in most of the state. We've had 3 very poor years in a row for production and this one looks like it's going to be tough as well. We've had very little rain and if we were to get enough rain to make a difference at this time, it would it would be hard on nests and when chicks start to hatch in 2-3 weeks, the cover still would be marginal. Perhaps Prairie Drifter could weigh in on what it would take to get "average" reproduction.

What are your thoughts?

Sadly, I think you're right.

Last year seemed to be pretty good for quail. That was surprising to me. Who knows whether nesting conditions were more favorable for them or cover conditions simply them more vulnerable to hunting. Let's hope it was nesting success. As for this year, I'm holding out hope for 2nd attempt pheasant nests and for another good quail hatch.

Finally, even though I shot poorly and didn't get out much, Prairie Chickens seem to be doing fine or even increasing a little.

At least the dove hunting will be good.

Back