Opening Day!!

prairiepork

Here we are. Even with no birds and less habitat, you still have to get excited about opening day! My 12 year old son passed his Hunter safety, got a couple places to walk, the wife wants to go, a beautiful day forecasted! Wow, what more can you ask for. All I can do is a quick hunt since I have tix to the Cornhusker game, but with temps in the 70's that will be ok. Don't think there will be many pheasants, but the quail hunting will be phenomenal. I had the best quail hunting year I ever had last year, and they pulled off a great hatch, so bring shells and a pointer. Have talked to some farmers who have told me they have never seen so many harvesting. God bless and good fortune.

I drove through Nebraska today. I came down Neb hwy 50 from Omaha down into KS. I past a lot of mighty fine looking pheasant habitat.

Honestly, I think quail pops. will be up over most of the state. Of course, the best area is the SE(game and parks bird count says that also, so nothing new), always has been. Bird pops. are based on habitat and the spring weather. A good hatch, and even in marginal areas you will find a few birds. This is a broad, general opinion. I hunt a lot. I walk a lot. There are days when I see nothing. But, in general, there will be more birds, so if you put the steps in and have a good dog, I think you will have a pretty good year, at least there is more potential than in the last few years. However, with all the CRP that came out, pheasant hunting will suck. But with Opening Day a few days away, I am full of irrational exuberance!

I know you weren't trying to get specific spots but it doesn't take much for people to "flock" to a region if you know what I mean.

Nebraska puts out a pretty good upland report. It will get you in a good region to begin your scouting.

Good post here, and good to hear there is more positive anticipation for this upland season in NE. I'm a native Nebraskan (North Platte) and try to get back for a couple of hunting trips each year - love my native state and always will.

Without giving away honey holes I think it is good to keep generating enthusiasm about upland hunting in NE even in lean times. The more people who hunt and demand better habitat and access to land for their sport, the better it is going to be in the long-term. If interest and participation dwindles down to only a select few who have access to prime private land, well that does not bode well in the long-term.

For those hitting the opener this week-end, good luck! :cheers:

Spoke to my contacts this week in the SW region. Corn is only 20-30% harvested so far plus temperatures in the 80's this weekend will make for a difficult opener. Canceled my trip and will go when conditions are better. Snakes are still being seen so be careful if you go out.

Heading to the southern panhandle to visit my mom & do a little bird hunting. It's supposed to be hot this weekend so I'm not too hopeful, but it'll be good to get out of town and let the dog run.

I hope everyone has a safe and successful opening weekend.

:cheers:
Dave

80 degrees is a little hot for me, plus I am still seeing quite a few snakes still also. A buddy was training his dog in eastern Colorado the other day and had a run in with two different snakes. Good luck to those who go and bring lots of water for the pups!

Back