Opener

LHutch

What is everyone's plans for the opener? The dog and I can't wait to get out this weekend. Will be hunting around Burlington with my Dad.

Haven't done any scouting, so I'll just load up my britt and go messing around my old happy hunting ground.

Found some private land in Boulder I'm going to hunt. The cover looks great and someone told me there may be some birds there but I will need to hunt it hard. Got my pointing chuhuahua all ready to go so it should be a great day.:D:D:D:D

Eastern CO

got 4 guns and a GSP heading to Cheyenne Wells and surrounding area. Anyone heading that way, see you at the Kwik on 40 before dawn. great microwaved sausage biscuits! LOL

We had a really fun weekend out there. My Dad and I had a co-worker and his 14 year old son join us for the kid's first Pheasant hunt. We saw quite a few birds and ended with 8 for the weekend. I think the kid's hooked now! :)

Found some private land in Boulder I'm going to hunt. The cover looks great and someone told me there may be some birds there but I will need to hunt it hard. Got my pointing chuhuahua all ready to go so it should be a great day.:D:D:D:D

Interested to hear if you saw any birds, sig_mech. How was the hunting?

Interested to hear if you saw any birds, sig_mech. How was the hunting?

I can't imagine it was fruitful. I've lived my entire life in eastern Boulder county and own land that used to have plenty of birds. We still have bird habitat but nobody else around us does anymore and whatever cover is left people mow for no reason. There are still a few birds around but not enough to actually go hunting for them. I'm saddened to say if you want to kill pheasants and live on the front range you're going to need to drive at least two hours to get some real hunting in.

I can't imagine it was fruitful. I've lived my entire life in eastern Boulder county and own land that used to have plenty of birds. We still have bird habitat but nobody else around us does anymore and whatever cover is left people mow for no reason. There are still a few birds around but not enough to actually go hunting for them. I'm saddened to say if you want to kill pheasants and live on the front range you're going to need to drive at least two hours to get some real hunting in.

That's what I figured. I've never bothered to look for them anywhere but NE Colorado myself and I've heard from others they're scarce west of Morgan Co, but I have this romantic picture in my head that the population recovery will see the birds repopulating the areas they abandoned on the front range. Maybe some day.

Sorry for the confusion boys but it was meant as a joke, shoulda picked up on that with the "pointing chihuahua" comment. I had no idea there used to be birds in Boulder. Hopefully they can reestablish the population there.
I actually went to Kansas for the opener and had a great time. Saw a ton of birds and lots of hens which will really help the population next year. Limited out early Saturday then relaxed with a few cold ones and a steak dinner. Slept like a baby. Got up Sunday and limited out early morning, packed up everything and drove to Yuma where I limited out again. 2 days, 11 birds, full freezer and a very tired lab. Life is good.

Back