one last hurrah

2cockers

I know the WI page has been dead for awhile but hopefully some of you are at least still looking. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go for one last shot at a limit late in the year. The real kicker is I need it to be in the central part of the state. I was thinking Pine Island, but I've never been there so I have no idea where the hot spots are(if any). Otherwise I was thinking Kickapoo Valley Reserve, but i've been there late in the season and never seen anything. Anybody got any advice? Anybody have any private land or unknown public land in the area and want some company?

Never hunted the central part of the state so can't really tell ya where but I'd be looking at places with populations of wild birds most planters will be dead by now. You want marshes filled with cattails, cane, and thick marsh grass surrounded by corn, hopefully picked. Big marshes with islands of small trees such as willows that are really thick but the birds can move around good in are always good places to hit. Waterfowl productions areas are good places to look as long as they have food close by. Refuges close all fall and always for ducks that open on 12-1 for other hunting are good places cause duckhunters wouldn't have shot all the roosters. Bottom line is finding good thick cover away that hasn't gotten pounded all fall by duck and pheasant hunters but has decent populations of wild birds. Also lower your standards. If its going to take a limit of roosters to make it worth while stay at home unless you have a good spot you know will produce. Yesterday just the dog and me went for about 5 hours and put up 9 hens and 1 rooster which I got. I'd consider that pretty darn good and alot less is what I'd typically expect.

Next year I'm going to travel farther from home around the state because I know there has gotta be some good places in central Wisconsin. Horicon is supposed to have some very good pheasant hunting around it.

I'd take a rooster and 9 hens any day. I wont be disappointed with that at all. I went yesterday and didn't see squat(except the 2 hens pecking on the shoulder of the road when I pulled up!) Pine Island is over near the Horicon area, thats why I was considering there. I'm aware of the unliklihood of planters still being alive but i figured as far as public land goes I'd be better off going somewhere that WAS stocked as appossed to not.

The stocked areas do have wild birds at least all the ones I ever hunt. We put alot of birds up in the late summer, and during dove season. Plus the occasional hen throughout the fall. Problem with hunting them is any area that easy to get to is going to see alot of pressure by guys looking for birds that are waiting for the bus to come back. These guys kill alot of wild birds in the process. If you get to areas where the average hunter won't go you'll find wild birds. You might find a stocked bird left too ya never know. Good luck and let me know how ya do.

I'm fully prepared to just roam the countryside looking for good cover and knocking on doors. My hope is this late in the year with deer season over I'll get a few yes's. I'd be more than content with an OPPORTUNITY at a limit. I think the dogs are getting frustrated with zero flushes the last 3 or 4 outings

started good, then...

Well the good news is I found a place to hunt and I found birds on it. The bad news is I couldn't connect and I had to go for a swim. First of all I drove around the area looking for good cover. I drove past a marshy creek bottom and lo and behold there on the edge were two roosters and a hen. So I flipped it around and stopped at the nearest house, talked to the very nice older couple that lived there. I found out it wass their property and had no problem whatsoever with me hunting in there. I was off to a pretty good start. I did get a shot off at one of the roosters, but after that it was nothing more than a glimpse of a runner here and there and distant cackles. The creek that ran through the area was just big enough I couldnt jump it and deep enough i coulnt wade it. The snow was about knee deep and had a crust on top that never held me, occassionally held the dogs, and always held the birds. There was also enough ice for the birds to cross the creek but we were stuck. Anyways on our way out we were trying to locate the s.o.b. that was cackling at us and the dogs decided to cross the creek on the ice. My cocker, ruger, had no problems. My golden, Midas was fine if he hurried. He didnt. Hhis hind end fell through and the bank was pretty steep and he couldn't get a footing to pull himself up. When Ruger came over to investigate he fell through to. ruger being much smaller and not the strongest swimmer anyway was almost immediately pulled downstream. So guess who had to jump in and help out? The water was about waist deep and quite a bit colder than I imagined. Luckily from that side of the creek i was only about 100 yards from the car. Nonetheless my pants were frozen solid by the time I got there. So, birds 1; me, 0. If I can get off work on thursday, closing day, I think I'll try again, but I believe I'll take my chest waders with me. All this for a bird with a brain the size of a pea!

Well the good news is I found a place to hunt and I found birds on it. The bad news is I couldn't connect and I had to go for a swim. First of all I drove around the area looking for good cover. I drove past a marshy creek bottom and lo and behold there on the edge were two roosters and a hen. So I flipped it around and stopped at the nearest house, talked to the very nice older couple that lived there. I found out it wass their property and had no problem whatsoever with me hunting in there. I was off to a pretty good start. I did get a shot off at one of the roosters, but after that it was nothing more than a glimpse of a runner here and there and distant cackles. The creek that ran through the area was just big enough I couldnt jump it and deep enough i coulnt wade it. The snow was about knee deep and had a crust on top that never held me, occassionally held the dogs, and always held the birds. There was also enough ice for the birds to cross the creek but we were stuck. Anyways on our way out we were trying to locate the s.o.b. that was cackling at us and the dogs decided to cross the creek on the ice. My cocker, ruger, had no problems. My golden, Midas was fine if he hurried. He didnt. Hhis hind end fell through and the bank was pretty steep and he couldn't get a footing to pull himself up. When Ruger came over to investigate he fell through to. ruger being much smaller and not the strongest swimmer anyway was almost immediately pulled downstream. So guess who had to jump in and help out? The water was about waist deep and quite a bit colder than I imagined. Luckily from that side of the creek i was only about 100 yards from the car. Nonetheless my pants were frozen solid by the time I got there. So, birds 1; me, 0. If I can get off work on thursday, closing day, I think I'll try again, but I believe I'll take my chest waders with me. All this for a bird with a brain the size of a pea!
:D
At least you were into birds which is always a good thing this late. I really need to start asking around for permission to hunt some private land.

only one day left, kinda moot now. Thats the first time in a couple years I've asked anyone and the first time ever when I've asked someone without somuch as knowing their name or having some other kind of contact info on them. It is a bit of a confidence booster I must admit. I usually assume I'll get a door slammed in my face, but this guy sincerely didnt care and was very ok with it. Makess me wonder how much other primo land there is I could get on I've just never bothered to ask

I'm kinda suprised you got access that easy too. Makes me wonder why I haven't done it more. Next year I'm going to be knocking on doors and also traveling to public land in other parts of the state.

I went out today hoping to hunt a big chunk of public land. The drive to the parking lot was snowed over with no other car tracks so we were forced to go to some other areas that have been pounded with not so much as one pheasant track but did get some rabbits. Might hunt it tommorow if I can talk somebody with some tire chains into going.

Where are the other Wisconsin guys? I know theres others on here but maybe they gave up already?

I'm kinda suprised you got access that easy too. Makes me wonder why I haven't done it more. Next year I'm going to be knocking on doors and also traveling to public land in other parts of the state.

I went out today hoping to hunt a big chunk of public land. The drive to the parking lot was snowed over with no other car tracks so we were forced to go to some other areas that have been pounded with not so much as one pheasant track but did get some rabbits. Might hunt it tommorow if I can talk somebody with some tire chains into going.

Where are the other Wisconsin guys? I know theres others on here but maybe they gave up already?
Im a 1/4 mile south of the state line just south of lake geneva. I dont think I can get away tomorrow though. I will be heading to Dark Acres a couple of times in january.
Have you guys heard of a guy by the name of Mike Ambrust in the lake geneva area? I spoke to him about 2 years ago and he was just starting a small club in this area that was small and not a lot of frills = less expensive.
I havent been able to find any info on this place. I have his phone number though.

Well we made it out there for the last day of the season Yesterday. PITA getting to with lots of digging, pushing and finally chaining up but Fresh tracks everywheres I fell through some ice and had purple feet when we got back to the truck but we seen over 20 hens and all of us (3 guys) all got a rooster a piece which was the only ones we put up all 3 were pointing by the brittany.

Back