Old School!

KBell

With two glasses of inspiration fueling my fire and a good steak in my belly, I decided last night to go back to experience after encountering zero birds on public grounds yesterday.

As a child, my father was always the first farmer to harvest his fields. Knowing me and my eagerness, I many times walked the area to encounter zero birds until the neighbors harvested their crops. I felt this may have happened to us yesterday--you will recall Sophie, my son and I did well in this area last year.

About 8 p.m. I drove the area and encountered a farmer just about to complete his harvest. After a short discussion, Sophie and I had a place to hit this morning. We were exactly two miles from the public ground we worked yesterday. As many of you know, pheasants tend to move from un-harvested field to un-harvested field but remain in the cover for a half day to day after harvest.

Exiting the truck and taking a moment to finish my coffee yielded Sophie on point 15 yards from the truck. As I moved in, I could hear the rest of brood chirping in the waterway from excitement. A release and four yard flight yielded the first rooster of the day. This guy could barely fly! I am guessing him to be nine weeks old at the most--white headed bird in photo due to pin feathers. A relocate of Sophie provided point number two and the flush produced a young hen and rooster. He dropped to my crossing shot of left to right--my favorite!:) I did notice three other birds--one of which definitely an older rooster--take off at the report of this shot. Another twenty yards and Sophie slammed to point. I could see the tail feathers of the bird caressing her right front leg. The release command yielded rooster number three and we were finished at 9:18 a.m.

We walked the remaining cover to point flush a total of seven roosters and five hens!:) We also flushed a group of 11 huns on the way back to the truck. Field dressing revealed three roosters--all this year--with three different hatchling classes--early, middle and late--very late! Good sign for this area!

Sometimes an "old dog" has to remember the old tricks in order to be successful!

Last edited:
Good to read! I'm hoping to eventually experience the same where I've permission, as most still have a lot of surrounding corn. Even beans near some fields.

Congrats!

Hello Nate

Thank you Nate! I really want to post the photo of those younger birds. Having difficulties uploading the photo. What process are you using to upload the photos in the body of your writing? Appreciate the help.

Ken

Last edited:
Thank you Nate! I really want to post the photo of those younger birds. Having difficulties uploading the photo. What process are you using to upload the photos in the body of your writing? Appreciate the help.

Ken

I've an iPhone 5 ... use it to take pics afield then upload them to Snapfish via their free app. From there, I go into Snapfish and copy the picture URL (via right-click, properties, etc). Then, use the image icon on this site and paste your copied URL.

This site is dated and won't allow for streamless upload via phone, as the pics are likely too large in native format. I've tried ... just says something like "upload error".

Wish we were automatically synced with social sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Hope this helps.

Windy

Thanks Nate! Birdshooter got me back on track.

Very windy here today. Had planned to hunt after church today but we have got 25+ from the southeast going on here. I would have to lead them by 3 feet or more!:)

Nice going Kbell.

Great info. I have not hunted Iowa in years but always had a great hunt there and met a lot of very nice farmers. Glad to see u did well and te birds are making it in your area!:cheers:

Back