Olap fee

Westok

Next year Oklahoma will charge a 100 olap , walk in, fee. It also gets you access to timberlands in the east. Will this be the start of a new trend for walk in states? Oklahoma isn’t the first state you think of for walk in areas. But it could still be the start. Any thoughts for or against?

In Iowa and SD it's free. In MN you need to get a validation that costs about 3 bucks. I really like the walk in program.

One dollar or 100 dollars? I looked at the ODWC site and can’t find anything but I didn’t look very hard. Don’t remember hearing about this earlier with the other proposed rule changes. I have not hunted any of the properties here in Oklahoma yet. Usually enough large WMAs to keep me busy when I’m in western Oklahoma.

Next year Oklahoma will charge a 100 olap , walk in, fee. It also gets you access to timberlands in the east. Will this be the start of a new trend for walk in states? Oklahoma isn’t the first state you think of for walk in areas. But it could still be the start. Any thoughts for or against?
Seems a little steep for the amount of available olap… if the available acreage tripled then ok let’s talk. I have not read up on this, it includes small game?

One dollar or 100 dollars? I looked at the ODWC site and can’t find anything but I didn’t look very hard. Don’t remember hearing about this earlier with the other proposed rule changes. I have not hunted any of the properties here in Oklahoma yet. Usually enough large WMAs to keep me busy when I’m in western Oklahoma.
Holy sh$t out of state small game is now 209$, plus a 200$ land access permit for olap properties. 409$ to hunt quail in Oklahoma on olap… 5 day small game is 75$ plus the 200 permit for olap. Insane

Holy sh$t out of state small game is now 209$, plus a 200$ land access permit for olap properties. 409$ to hunt quail in Oklahoma on olap… 5 day small game is 75$ plus the 200 permit for olap. Insane
Never mind out of state 5 day is not valid for quail, 409$ to hunt quail in Oklahoma on olap!! 209$ to get on wma’s and private. 🤦🏼‍♂️

They already shut out non res hunters on WMAs the last two weeks of the season last year or year before. On WMAs. I just took a look at the new fees. Nonresident prices really shot up.

Last edited:
They already shut out non res hunters on WMAs the last two weeks of the season last year or year before. On WMAs.
Yup, that’s when the olap properties were nice to have. Like most olap or open gate programs half of them are void of bird habitat.

I used to duck hunt in OK, but now the out of state fees are way too much for this guy from AR.

It's not really the money for me it's the gal of them. 25 years ago, you could buy an elk tag for that. F em.

It's not really the money for me it's the gal of them. 25 years ago, you could buy an elk tag for that. F em.
I’m with you, I made 7-8 day trips to Oklahoma last year alone. Every time needed a tank of gas and a stop or two for food and drink. I easily dropped a 750-1000 in that state without license cost. I’m not saying I won’t go back dut damn that’s high, especially on a marginal bird year

I don't hunt in Oklahoma nor have I ever even seen a wild quail but 409 bucks to hunt a small game bird the size of a robin seems pretty ridiculous. I know quail hunting has its following but this absurd amount tells me they don't want people doing it. 400 bucks is approaching non-resident big game license costs.

I don't hunt in Oklahoma nor have I ever even seen a wild quail but 409 bucks to hunt a small game bird the size of a robin seems pretty ridiculous. I know quail hunting has its following but this absurd amount tells me they don't want people doing it. 400 bucks is approaching non-resident big game license costs.
It’s high for sure, makes me upset because it’s a neighbor state I go to a lot. BUT I’ve had 20 covey days in the past (on a great year) that may have been worth 400 dollar by themselves. I’m sure they will still get my business because of those memories. When it’s right it’s a fantastic place!

People would’ve paid it in 2015 and 2016. Not so sure about now. Having said that I met several out of state turkey hunters at Black Kettle on the opener. I don’t have any experience on the OLAP properties. I’ve asked biologists out west a few times about them and they never had much to say.

Last edited:
Back