Oklahoma pheasants

Gobbler

That wild hair is tinkling again. I'm thinking of making a late season Oklahoma pheasant hunt flyer. Their website says the PanHandle is the best pheasant hunting. Anybody out there with some pheasant hunting experience in that state?

There may be pockets of solid pheasant numbers in the panhandle this year, but from my experience, north central Oklahoma has stronger numbers this season. However, public land opportunities are very limited in that part of the state. Either region provides a decent chance at a mixed quail/pheasant bag.

Live 30 miles from the 'Drummond Flats' a walk-in area near Enid, OK. Always been able to scratch a couple of pheasants each year. This year has been the absolute worst for pheasants at the 'Flats.' Hunted 4 times walking w/my GSP a couple of hours in different areas of nearly 5,000 acres & have not had a shot, in fact, I have not even seen a pheasant including hens. Lots of cover but not a pheasant. So if you're planning the N. Central part of the state I'd say save the trip for somewhere else.

I’ve made 4 trips to western Oklahoma this year in country that has pheasant and quail. I’ve seen a few pheasant but this year they have been scarce. Cover has been thin due to a whacky weather year.. always find a few quail to chase however.

Thanks, guys. I had these visions of 50 degrees and sunny unpressured pheasant hunting in Oklahoma in January, but I guess I was just dreaming. Maybe I better look further north into Kansas or Nebraska. I hunted SW Nebraska late season a few years back and didn't find many birds and when I did the birds were extremely concentrated.
Maybe I'll just bite the frozen bullet and battle the cold in SD. This wild hair won't stop tinkling my crack until I hunt birds some place. I'm open for suggestions!

Nothing beats a good adventure, I do think it will turn into a quail hunt over pheasant really quick. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes!

Back