Offered to Help...

Kismet

UPH Guru
Not sure how it will work out, but just sent in the paperwork to American Brittany Rescue (they gotta have new paperwork) to serve as a foster.

Called the State Coordinator and talked with her, offering to take in dogs that have behavior problems and work on rehabbing them--one at a time. My offer was that I wouldn't pick up or deliver, didn't want the dogs for more than a month, and would provide a short list of Human behaviors that should be used with each dog when it left.

Their ?charter? doesn't have provisions for specifically short-term fostering, but we figure we can work something out in each situation. Might not be doable, but I thought I'd offer.

Behavior modification is something I do moderately well with, and it kills me to see perfectly good canines ruined by previous owners.

We'll see. It may be that I never see a dog from them, but now that Mick is pretty well rounded-off, another challenge seemed like a good idea.

Wish me luck. :)

Here's to the best of luck to you, Kis.

This is a good thing, We wish you the best of luck!:)

Thank you for trying to help homeless dogs. In addition to the ABR there is the National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network (NBRAN) where I got my dog, a terrific upland hunter.

I was going to mention NBRAN, but BritChaser beat me to it. That's where I got Gus. Great organization.

Paperwork, Ken.

I'd already gone through the home visit and all the background check when I tried to adopt a brit and ended up with Mick, the field springer. I'd talked with the State Coordinator and found her congenial and with common sense.

I didn't want to go through the whole rigamarole with the Springer or GWP folks.

It was just easiest.

I'm not starting a rehab foundation here, just offering to help for short term remediation of (mostly) owner-caused bad behaviors.

As someone who has done a lot of foster work, with a lot of dogs, you usually don't get to pick how long you have the dogs.

Usually, volunteer foster homes are so overloaded, or whatever, that once that magic "month" time period comes up, you can't pass the dog along to someone else.
Then what do you do?
I've had dogs over a year. I've had dogs for several months. Some for just a couple of weeks. It takes some time for the dog to settle in, housebroken, and it takes time for YOU to get to know the dog so you can do a write up on the dog.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing you are doing.
We don't deliver dogs either but instead make the potential owners come to us. But we do have to pick them up.
Most shelters don't deliver, some will do shelter to shelter transport.

So the folks that are doing the transporting are just volunteers just like you.
Some clubs will reimburse for fuel, that's a good thing.
But there is a good feeling about pulling a dog from a shelter though. :)

As an aside, I tip my hat to you, there needs to be more folks out there like you.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, by no means, just kinda explaining what I've experienced.

Back