Obedience.

bobeyerite

I don't know about some of you other hunters. But I am a stickler for "Instant Obedience". I will admit Tony and I have a lot of time so he could be very well be over-trained. But I think obedience training should start a few weeks after the new pup has come into your home. Once you are sure the pup has bonded and is looking for more. There are a lot of games that can be played in the house and yard that will teach the youngster basic obedience. Tony like the fetch the ball game the best. I taught "whoa", "come", "down" and fetch. Boy did that help later when we were field training......Bob

Last edited:
Totally agree Bob, nothing is more of a pleasure to be around than a well behaved, well minding dog! I start the dogs same as you, as soon as they are "looking for more". There is nothing like being behind a dog or next to a dog in a blind that is well mannered and doing his job that he loves!

I agree fully. A dog that takes its own sweet time to respond to commands, or waits for a second/third louder command before obeying, is simply testing the limits and figuring out just how dominant (or not!) their owner is. I live in the city and interact with all kinds of dogs and owners at yuppie dog parks. SOme of the stuff I see has me shaking my head and thinking "boy oh boy, if that were MY dog!!!!" lol! That said, I use different commands depending how much I mean it. For example, "Come" means come now, first time, every time, and don't dilly-dally. ON the other hand, if I say "with me" it is much less urgent. I still expect to only say it once, but if Ruby saunters over to me at a sedate pace that's OK. I find it best to keep the list of PRIORITY commands short and to INSIST on a precise response to those. Just my opinion.
-Croc

Good post Croc. I run my dog at times in a dog area by a football stadium. I know what you mean the owner scream and beg and all sorts of stuff to get them to obey. It makes one wonder why they even have a dog at times. They see Tony obey and then I'm that cruel person because my dog is wearing a E-Collar. Tony comes to me and wants it put on. That is what he wears when we go out into a field.......Bob

Bob gunna have to agree with you! i got my dogs at the end of the 2007 hunt season and spent the whole year on obedience training, whoa, come, sit, stay, heel, and on a training collar. and i gotta say its probably the best thing i did with him. Remmy didn't see a live bird until the start of last years hunting season, and now im a true believer that you don't teach your bird dog how to hunt, you just teach him/her how to listen to you the rest is in their blood, they are born with it! Last year Remmy found over 200 birds and i missed over half of them lol jk jk...he's help first time hunters, disable veterans, junior hunters, and other people with out dogs enjoy the experience of hunting behind a good bird dog. I honestly can say I enjoy watching him work more then taking the birds!

Coastie, Welcome to th dog lovers club. You speak nothing but truth in your post. Nothing and I mean nothing can beat a dogs natural ability to hunt birds. Now when say, we at times don't care if we get a bird or not just watching the dog work is reward enough. You understand fully what we mean........Bob

Coastie, Welcome to th dog lovers club. You speak nothing but truth in your post. Nothing and I mean nothing can beat a dogs natural ability to hunt birds. Now when say, we at times don't care if we get a bird or not just watching the dog work is reward enough. You understand fully what we mean........Bob

Thanks Bob! you know your a dog love when your relationship with your dog is better then it is with the old lady!! thank god i'm single! my gf or wife would kill me for spending more time with my dog then her!

I totally agree with you bobeyerite. My opinion is obedience is just as important as field training your dog for hunting if not more important. I take alot of pride in the obedience of my dogs.

Back