NW or SW KS?

I started a similar thread last year and didn't get many responses. I'm dying to know, from those of you that have hunted both NW KS and SW KS in the same year before, which area has more birds per square mile? SD has a population density map, but one hasn't been made for KS that I know of. I've never found a population density map for KS. I know it varies from one year to the next. I intend to hunt NW KS some again this year, regardless of everyone's responses. I like to see different terrain, cover, etc. I'm not internet scouting either. I'm just trying to get some info that isn't readily available on the internet. Also, just so my bases are covered, I hunt b/c I enjoy the hunt, not because I expect to see 500 birds/day.

I forgot to add that I've already seen the crowing index, which indicates that there are more birds in NW KS. However, I've found the number of pheasants per square mile is nowhere close to the crowing survey as topography, oil industry, and agricultural noise from one area to the next is NOT consistent.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
I've hunted a little bit, in alot of places, in Kansas during the past 10 years and I have personally noticed that the NW has better hunting. Now taking that into consideration I hunt mostly private land. I will hunt some WIHA but not till later in the season. It's just way to crowded and not to sound mean, I just don't trust hunting with people I don't know, due to safety reasons. I will be spending alot of time in Thomas County, It is a place I have enjoyed not only for the bird population but the scenery as well

I believe Northwest Kansas is better. I have quite a bit of private land to hunt in Southwest Kansas (Ulysses) and we usually do pretty well. The walk-in land out there from what I understand isn't the greatest. Last year was a down year in the Southwest part of the state so we went to the great Northwest that I've been hearing about for quite some time. We hunted walk-in land and did very well. I was very impressed with the cover and the amount of pheasants and quail that we moved.

KB,

Definitely NW Kansas(that leaves more of those scarce birds in SW Kansas for me).

quail in nw ?

ksgsp tell me about the quail in nw ,extreme nw? i havnt heard that good of news of quail nin nw were you in big crp walk in?

We used to make annual trips to the SW portion of the state and we always did well, but in recent years we've had much more success in NW and NC

Back