NW Iowa Report 12-19-20

Kevin W

Gave it the old college try this afternoon Sioux City ish area after working a morning shift and was able to hunt from noon to the 4:30 pm close. My brother was able to join me which was nice. It was a beauty of a day out and we were able to walk quite a few ditches taking turns hunting with Kepa. It was my brothers first time handling Kepa and it was nice to see she worked for him just as well as she does for me. He was really impressed with the vari tone feature of her collar. Being able to bring her back into range with the "push and slight hold" of the tone or all the way back in with a "solid hold" of the tone until all the way back impressed him to say the least. No yelling required!!! :)
As for the hunting we walked 2 "spots" one an old cemetery and the second a nice intersection corner cattail patch along with about 10 ditches, or sections of ditches varying from a 100 yard walk to almost a mile. And we put up 2 roosters. One, Kepa put up right in my face. I could tell from the moment we entered the cover there was a bird in there somewhere. Thankfully the rooster held well and Kepa made a nice flush and a great retrieve on a very much alive rooster. One rooster was it for that spot though and we moved on. Another ditch an hour or so later held another rooster but it flushed early (too far ahead for me) and cut out the side too far away from my brother who was blocking the ditch down the fence row.
I am utterly amazed at the number of single roosters I have put up this year and the number of one bird in the bag hunts I've had too. As far as hunter numbers we did see a couple of other road hunters out as well, but not nearly the number of guys I was seeing back in November.

uno again today.jpg

Yesterday we shot 4 Plymouth county roosters and today we shot 6 Woodbury county roosters. Shot much better today, but it really took some miles today. Had 2 of my 3 at 8:10, we hunted until after 2:00. My old GSP did both days, he is tired but did great today, no quit in him. No lost birds either day. This weather would be more typical for the opening weekend not late December. This would be a great year, even it this was the final weekend. 3 weekends remaining, taking a PTO day tomorrow to try to fill my late muzzleloader tag, then I can bird hunt all 3 weekends.

You guys are killing me! I kinda want to go and my buddy's want me to join them this weekend but I just started ice fishing and put a hurt on the gills last weekend. I can also hunt Grouse in the same area and got one yesterday so it's hard to get excited about traveling all the way to Iowa again. My heart belongs to the northwoods and I have a few roosters in the freezer. I do feel bad that my dogs have to wait another whole year.

We can continue wrangle them for you! Must not be in sothern MN, I am not sure the ponds and lakes have any ice here.

We can continue wrangle them for you! Must not be in sothern MN, I am not sure the ponds and lakes have any ice here.
My cabin in NW wisconsin. Wrangle up them roosters! I'm envious. If I get lucky I may get another one of these but the success ratio is lower than pheasants.

Attachments

• IMG_20201220_090957148_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201220_090957148_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
I did get my late muzzleloader tag filled yesterday, so it should be "game-on" for the remaining weekends and bird hunting.

Back