Novice hunter signs?

keskam

I was scouting today, and some propertys have been cut in half while others have been reduced to novice hunter only fields. I cant find it in the book or the D O W website, anybody know what this is? And these are some good fields.....

Weird! I have seen the youth only properties, but never a novice only property! But heck! The way I shoot, I am surely still a novice! Tell me where they are and I'll be there early sat morn!!!

Maybe that is what the Novice is youth only.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm taking my 11 year old pheasant hunting for the first time ever this weekend. It will also be my first time pheasant hunting. As newb's we're heading out to the walk-in access properties for opening weekend.

From the research I've found the "novice only" is a class offered by the CPW with some restrictions for access.

http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?pressid=8381

I had seen the program advertised at Wellington this summer for novices. After phone calls to CP&W in Denver, Ft Collins, then Brush (who was the only agent who knew about the new program) the novice only WIA areas are only to be used by a 'novice' with a special endorsement who went through the summer program. They (youth or adult with the endorsement) must hunt the area by themselves as a novice or with a non hunting mentor. This 'novice only WIA' carries through the season. There are no regulations in any WIA atlas concerning these area and WIA's are not shown on any maps in the atlas. Very poor planning on a new program and being left out of the late cropland Atlas.:)

I had seen the program advertised at Wellington this summer for novices. After phone calls to CP&W in Denver, Ft Collins, then Brush (who was the only agent who knew about the new program) the novice only WIA areas are only to be used by a 'novice' with a special endorsement who went through the summer program. They (youth or adult with the endorsement) must hunt the area by themselves as a novice or with a non hunting mentor. This 'novice only WIA' carries through the season. There are no regulations in any WIA atlas concerning these area and WIA's are not shown on any maps in the atlas. Very poor planning on a new program and being left out of the late cropland Atlas.:)

Agreed, as a complete new hunter who is trying to teach his son...I am struggling with the information out there. I read the first post and thought, "Perfect! A field my son and I can stumble through as novice's" A phone call to Denver CPW which revealed they knew nothing about it, and a quick google search turned up the article I posted.

Looks like the boy and I get to put on our big-boy pants and jump in with both feet this weekend. :D

The field 1 mile west of Amherst, use to be a 1/2 mile by mile, now it is a 1/2 by 1/2 mile the other half is novice, and includes a 1/2 by 1/2 mile of wheat stubble that is novice. and this is a good field. Start of by the house on the north side of the field, the birds roost in his trees when its cold and fly into the field in the morning. hope it helps county road 49 and 36 is the novice. phillips county

Also some at i belive 30 and 33 or 27, crop circles for novice in phillips county

also in Logan county i cant remember excactly, but around 46 and 97 (county line road) it is on the west side of the road, it is around there somewhere within couple miles.

These signs are yellow (like the warning signs) hope this helps you!!

This should give you and your son a full days hunt!!

Lark do you have dog?

Last edited:
Keskam, thank you for the info. No, we don't have a hunting dog, but do have a golden/shiba inu mix. Coolest pet ever!

Correct me if I'm wrong but are those directions to the Novice Fields? We didn't take the novice program so we'll be out in the public fields/corners with everyone else come tomorrow morning.

Yes those are to the Novice fields.

It is funny that there is hardly any information on this, the only ones who know about this are the ones that took the class IMO,

Do you think the DOW did that on purpose as to not piss off alot of hunters? That kind of seems like the agenda of this Gov administration,

Why was it so secretive?

No clue. I know when my son and I took the hunter's safety classes in March 2012 the instructor didn't mention anything about their covert operations to us. :rolleyes:

Either way, we're excited to get out this weekend and hopefully see a bird or two. Reality is we will probably do a lot of armed hiking, kinda like elk hunting season. LOL

Be interesting to see if hunters actually follow the rules. I am sure there will be plenty who play dumb and still hunt this area with out haven taken the class. I am all for getting new hunters in the mix and do not mind making fields especially for them, just seems like they went about this a bit poorly.

The field 1 mile west .................
These signs are yellow (like the warning signs) hope this helps you!!

This should give you and your son a full days hunt!!

Lark do you have dog?

Keskam, not to sound like a butt - but I like to protect good areas in my home state, you may want to edit your post and delete the exact place you posted. Believe it or not - Im 99% certain that led to some crowding situations in KS due to internet posts. You can search for this stuff on google and read it without having to post. Maybe PM the original poster the info first though if he hasnt written it down.

Something to think about. Too many lazy people out there who dont want to do their own scouting. (Not saying the OP is lazy but I think you know what I mean)

Hate to see the place get ran over with people all the time.

Keskam, not to sound like a butt - but I like to protect good areas in my home state, you may want to edit your post and delete the exact place you posted. Believe it or not - Im 99% certain that led to some crowding situations in KS due to internet posts. You can search for this stuff on google and read it without having to post. Maybe PM the original poster the info first though if he hasnt written it down.

Something to think about. Too many lazy people out there who dont want to do their own scouting. (Not saying the OP is lazy but I think you know what I mean)

It is only for kids that participated in the program this year or people who took their hunter safety class this year and attended 1 out of the 3 courses. I think it will be o.k. except for dumbasses that just go in and hunt it thinking they have the right too !!

It is only for kids that participated in the program this year or people who took their hunter safety class this year and attended 1 out of the 3 courses. I think it will be o.k. except for dumbasses that just go in and hunt it thinking they have the right too !!

Well we know how the general public is and can be...ha :cheers:

I dont mind your point but if it will help get those kids out there to hunt it, I will leave it up,
Thanks

I dont mind your point but if it will help get those kids out there to hunt it, I will leave it up,
Thanks

We stuck around Joes and bad a blast. I put up a report in another thread.

My son didn't get to shoot at anything but he had a good time anyway.

I look forward to bringing him back in a couple weeks when it's just he and I.

We drove by one field yesterday and there had to be 40 to 50 hunters in it! we laughed and drove away,

We drove by one field yesterday and there had to be 40 to 50 hunters in it! we laughed and drove away,

We didn't see that at all. There was only one field we had to "share" with another small group and honestly, it was so big we had no issues what so ever sharing the field. Get away from the main roads and you could hunt some good fields for two hours and never see another hunter.

I think that we me being surrounded! ...I sure lucked out though!...should have pulled my limit out of the first fields, but the dogs and I couldn't find that third bird I winged!

Was sure nuts!... so many trucks, guns and shooting around me on all sides I swore I was on a shooting range! ...I wasn't much better though. ..I hit the honey hple to start the day. I missed three birds, bagged two and couldn't find my third for a public land limit!...even saw two more roosters I couldn't shoot at. One just over one of my pups and the other out of range. Seriously though, before I left that one field and the two corners of one pivot, there were nearly 40 other guns that had moved though the surrounding corners!

I walked three more fields before I called it quits, but in two the pups never even got birdy once, and only birdy once in the final field. What a great choice though on the field to start the day!...8 roosters and 4 hens was incredible to see and most importantly, my dogs love me again!

Back