November sharptails

duckn66

Do you think an attempt to hunt sharptails in mid November over pointing dogs would be futile or do you think some would hold for a point this late in the season?

I can't say anything for Nebraska but last year we went to South Dakota the week before Christmas and got into some that held ok? I would say they I got within 30 yds before they flushed!! I have been wanting to go on a sharpie hunt in Nebraska but just never am far enough north? Never know if you don't try!! Good luck! I'd go try it with ya if it weren't 12 hrs away plus I just got home from Nebraska quail hunting and work probably isn't going to let me go again this soon but I sure want to:)

The birds will be a little more skittish but I think it would be worth it - I have definitely taken some sharptails in NE in November. At this time of year you might think about hitting an area that has both sharpies and phez - if you strike out on one go for the other:cheers:

WEATHER DEPENDENT.

NE sharpies should behave the same as Dakota sharptails and MN prairie chicken.

Calm & warm (seasonally warm) and you have a chance for good points.

Sunny, cold and windy (N) ... probably not. They will sit out of the wind in sparse cover sunning themselves. Especially love hillsides and will see you coming from along ways away.

Cold and windy ... I think they burrow underground. :eek: and disappear completely.

Remember though that when they flush out of range ... for what ever reason one bird holds around for a little longer. Usually after you empty your gun at 40 yard birds does the one erupt 5 yards away... ;):p

Back