Northeast Quail

I have read alot of forums on this website and it doesn't seem like many people have reported on quail hunting in the NE part of Kansas. Two years ago a terrible ice storm hit and when I hunted there I didn't see a quail. Last year was decent and I was hoping they could make a comback for this hunting season. I've already read the KDWP forecast but Im always wondering about it. Anyone have any reports on the NE part of Kansas for quail hunting?

I've talked to some farmers around Anderson and Franklin counties and havent heard very positive things. Last year was decent like you said but from what I've heard they arent seeing quite the numbers that were present.

No problem Labman. I hope that the KDWP's forecast is right cause it would be great to get into more birds around NE Ks! I talked to my fiances family who farms around the Garnett area today and they said they've seen some numbers around there so I'm goin to try to stay postive! Only 28 more days!!!

lol tell me about it! im just waiting for her to take a trip to south dakota to her dads family! they farm a lot of country there in the heart of pheasant country!

Hey guys...

I used to hunt northeast KS every year...around Marysville and Seneca.

However most of my hunting is now around Smith Center, Osborne and Norton.

My uncle farms ground near Iola...not far from Garnett.
Quail #'s there have been very low since 2007...Several major weather events (flooding) hurt production.

Quail are recovering in southeast KS...however this is the first year in the recovery cycle.

We used to move 10 to 15 coveys per day on the Iola farm...
This year maybe 4-6 coveys...I hope!!

Plan to be there for the quail opener.

Please drop me a line for more info.

BH68

Yeah numbers have been low around the area. When my grandpa was alive we hunted his farm just outside of Princeton, it was only about 80 acres but we moved a lot of quail every time we went down. The main reason that her family has been seeing numbers is that they plant multiple birds throughout the year so they manage to keep their population pretty stable year in and year out.

As for the opener I'll be up in NC Ks for our annual trip up there, but when i get to that area ill drop ya a line

Back