North Central Iowa

Anybody been hunting in N. Central Iowa? I've been debating about going to South Dakota instead of Iowa this year. Just not sure if I want to put up with all the pay to hunt stuff. Any reports would be welcome.

I live in MN and do most of my hunting in Iowa. We hit SD once a year as well.

I do well walking the road ditches. Figure out if the birds are using the north/south or the east/west ditches. It seems to vary each day depending on wind direction. Then start walking your dog. Having a corn field on both sides helps, but not a must. Late season I also start hiting the larger tracts of public land. Seems like the survivors will migrate back into the heavier cover when it starts to get nasty out. Plus most hunters are at home now and they don't get hit that hard anymore.

PoleBender... If I understand the Iowa regulations on road right of ways, it's illegal to hunt them with a rifle, muzzleloader or shotgun using slugs, but it is legal to hunt road right of ways with shotgun/birdshot. Based on your post, I assume this is correct?

If I can find the time, I'll be doing some late season bird hunting in Iowa. Thanks for your feedback. :)

Back