New to Kansas birds

ron

Hello all. Just joined up. Great site. The Kansas Hail map was exactly what I was in search of...

Me and a couple of bro in laws are ditching Iowa this year and trying our luck in North Central Kansas mid-December, hoping to find some success on WIHA around Tipton and the Downs area. Any thoughts on these areas?

My other question is regarding Prairie Chickens...never had the opportunity to hunt any. Are they plentiful, or do you consider yourself lucky to have seen any?

Thanks in advance!
Ron

Hello all. Just joined up. Great site. The Kansas Hail map was exactly what I was in search of...

Me and a couple of bro in laws are ditching Iowa this year and trying our luck in North Central Kansas mid-December, hoping to find some success on WIHA around Tipton and the Downs area. Any thoughts on these areas?

My other question is regarding Prairie Chickens...never had the opportunity to hunt any. Are they plentiful, or do you consider yourself lucky to have seen any?

Thanks in advance!
Ron

Plenty of chickens where you're going. It is not unreasonable to expect to see some chickens while you're out. However, getting within shotgun range can be difficult. There are good numbers of chickens in Osborne county. We actually kicked 2 out of the CRP. I've only had luck harvesting them flying into bean fields. Good luck!!!

Thanks for your reply kb.

We're getting pretty juiced about our mid-December trip. We shouldn't have any crops to deal with, as far as cover for them to hide...maybe just some cold Kansas wind...but, we're no strangers to that. :D

Are the WIHA mainly CRP grass or ??

Best of luck to you as well.

Ron

Thanks for your reply kb.

We're getting pretty juiced about our mid-December trip. We shouldn't have any crops to deal with, as far as cover for them to hide...maybe just some cold Kansas wind...but, we're no strangers to that. :D

Are the WIHA mainly CRP grass or ??

Best of luck to you as well.

Ron
Kansas WIHA varies from CRP, hard winter wheat,milo stubble and summer fallow to pasture land. I see that you're from KC. I'll shoot you a PM and maybe we can get together for a hunt.

Wiha

I am going to Cawker City this weekend right next to Downs and plan on hunting WIHA areas. I am not very optomistic about WIHA areas since we went 2 weeks ago and only kicked up one quail north of Glasco. We did see one smart pheasant that hopped the fence as soon as we pulled up though.

Welcome

Thanks in advance!
Ron

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your hunt in December. Prairie chicken sightings are quite rare and by the time you note that they are not hen pheasants, they are well on their way to the next county. When they flush, they usually disappear in the sky rather than land within sight as with pheasants and quail. The key to IDing chicken is their bobbed tails and if you're close enough they look as if they have dark zebra-like stripes on their bodies. Hey, have fun!

Back