new to hunting

nascarsammy

i am new to hunting i got involved becouse a friend of mine had a cholclate lab he kept telling me he would sell me finally he said he would sell it for $50.00 shots and papers i brought him home the wife nearly divorsed me but after a couple of days it became her dog on his first b-day my brother and cousin said i should take him pheasant hunting my reply was he is a spoiled house dog he wont hunt and thats what i was always told but i took him to a game farm had a couple birds put out and he took to it fast now i can take him out any time and be confident about finding birds now i say finding becouse he flushes them but we dont always hit them now my sons and i go almost every weekend and it is a great day regardless how the hunting goes we always have fun my brother started mounting birds and my sons first bird was mounted for a xmas present i think it liked that gift more then anything seeing he did not know we saved the bird what a great sport
if there is any thing anyone can tell me about hunting with a young house dog to make him even better that woould be great thank you all and happy hunting
________
RM125

Last edited:
I think working the dog, he's got the instincts loves hunting and the shotgun.
I hunt a lot mid Sept - Nov the rest of the year my 2 labs are house pets, sleep on their own beds in our bedroom lay on the couch and our laps.:eek: Ride in the cab. When it comes to hunting they are all business. They have a hard time leaving the hot scent of a running bird but otherwise do a great job.:)

I couldn't agree more! Keep putting your dog on birds, and it will only get better. Other than basic obedience so they don't run birds out of range, there is no training like "on the job training" for a bird dog!

Back