New guy with a good dog needs help training

JDshockNawe

Hi I'm just starting upland bird hunting after this fall season I went once and I'm hooked (always deer hunted before) I have a 3 year old black lab that's a good house dog and show potential for hunting as long as she doesn't have to swim. So Im working on training her. Only problem is I don't know anyone who hunts or trains dogs for upland bird. And there is only so much I can learn from books and video, they don't answer some my question and Im having a hard time when it say something that everyone should know but I don't. Hopefully someone near me could help I live near Allegan Michigan and would love some expert advice thanks for taking the time to read this

Welcome JD to Uph. Ask your questions on dog training in our birddog training forums. You will get plenty of responses. :)

Hey Jd welcome to bird hunting, biggest thing with a lab is to keep them in close 20yards and get them into birds. Because they are a flushing dog if they get out farther you will need to be extremely lucky to get a shot. The more birds you can get them into the better, a lot is in the dogs genetics. Pheasants in the open you have a little more leeway for distance.

Hi I'm just starting upland bird hunting after this fall season I went once and I'm hooked (always deer hunted before) I have a 3 year old black lab that's a good house dog and show potential for hunting as long as she doesn't have to swim. So Im working on training her. Only problem is I don't know anyone who hunts or trains dogs for upland bird. And there is only so much I can learn from books and video, they don't answer some my question and Im having a hard time when it say something that everyone should know but I don't. Hopefully someone near me could help I live near Allegan Michigan and would love some expert advice thanks for taking the time to read this

You might try googling "retriever club" - Allegan,MI. There are several clubs that are listed. Would assume members would assist you in your training or direct you to professionals in Michigan.

Good Luck!

Back