New From Houston

GregoryGant

Greetings,

My name is Greg and I am 27 from houston. I am totally new to the sport, always have wanted to get into it but just now getting into a position financially where it is possible. Looking to learn as much as possible before the season then try to get out there and check it out.

I work in the oil and gas industry so it very commonplace around the office and I would like to be able to chime in :)

Thanks and I look forward to getting acquainted on here.

Greg

Welcome Greg - I recently found this site myself. I am in the NW portion of Harris County myself. My son and I go up to Kansas to chase birds every year during Thanksgiving. One piece of equipment you will need is a good birddog so keep your eyes open for a German Shorthair. Leave the labs for the duck & goose hunters.:eek:

Again, welcome

Greetings,

My name is Greg and I am 27 from houston. I am totally new to the sport, always have wanted to get into it but just now getting into a position financially where it is possible. Looking to learn as much as possible before the season then try to get out there and check it out.

I work in the oil and gas industry so it very commonplace around the office and I would like to be able to chime in :)

Thanks and I look forward to getting acquainted on here.

Greg

Welcome Greg - I recently found this site myself. I am in the NW portion of Harris County myself. My son and I go up to Kansas to chase birds every year during Thanksgiving. One piece of equipment you will need is a good birddog so keep your eyes open for a German Shorthair. Leave the labs for the duck & goose hunters.:eek:

Again, welcome

Welcome Greg.

As far as a dog goes,I would wait a while and see where you end up hunting the most and choose a dog based on the type of cover you end up hunting.GSP's are great if you hunt in cover without a lot of briars or rose bushes etc, but if you end up hunting in a lot of thick, nasty cover as I do in Alberta, Montana, N and S Dakota a lab is certainly one of your best bets. For Houston54 to recommend staying away from labs is a pretty naive statement. They are all good dogs, some are just better suited to certain types of conditions.Make your decision based on that. Good Luck.

ps. remember all, this is just my opinion.:cheers:

In reply for my perceived naivete I will state it is based on 13 years of upland hunting in Kansas and north Texas during which I have seen many more lazy labs than lazy GSPs in the fields. Labs have their supports and detractors. If you hunt in hard cover they may be fine but you do not find that in the southern plains. The labs are great at finding dead birds though but runners...not in my experience.

I recommended a dog as a key element of pheasant hunting because without one you are generally just out for a walk during which you may get lucky. Of course this pertains to open terrain - grass or crop.

Everyone does have an opinion though. Yours was just does not agree with mine.

Greetings,

I am totally new to the sport, always have wanted to get into it but just now getting into a position financially where it is possible.
Greg

Greg, I don't know if a person can ever be in a good financial position to take up bird hunting-----let's see, there is the four wheel drive crew cab, a pickup camper, a couple of shotguns, ammo, a reloader, a dog, a dog trainer, a dog trailer, vet bills, taxidermy fees, fuel, coolers, food, licenses, some sporting clay fees, oh yes, and if you are married there will be trade off items for the little lady to keep her happy, so you can keep chasing pheasants. :D

Anyway, glad to have you on the forum.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Well at least you know most of us believe a well trained dog is important. :D Whatever breed you decide on, do yourself a favor and get it trained, whether you do it or have a professional do it. Nothing ruins hunt faster than having a hunter and their dog not communicating. Constant yelling or hacking the dog, the dog busting or blinking birds. I can promise you, that if you have one of those, your choice of hunting partners will be limited. Mostly, just have fun.

In reply for my perceived naivete I will state it is based on 13 years of upland hunting in Kansas and north Texas during which I have seen many more lazy labs than lazy GSPs in the fields. Labs have their supports and detractors. If you hunt in hard cover they may be fine but you do not find that in the southern plains. The labs are great at finding dead birds though but runners...not in my experience.

I recommended a dog as a key element of pheasant hunting because without one you are generally just out for a walk during which you may get lucky. Of course this pertains to open terrain - grass or crop.

Everyone does have an opinion though. Yours was just does not agree with mine.

I think our opinions do agree as I think we are both saying that it may be a good idea to match the dog to the cover. Also, I have found that pointers and labs have different needs when being kenneled during the day so that could play a part in a person choice.

As for lazy labs, I have probably seen equal numbers of sub par labs and pointers over the last 28 yrs of pheasant hunting. Either the dog did not receive adequate training or they weren't from good hunting lines.

Welcome Greg

Welcome Greg. Come hunt in Kansas which has over one million acres of private ground enrolled in the walk-in hunting program. Just buy a license and pick up a walk-in hunting atlas and away you go. Hunt in the western half of the state. Get more details from the Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks website. Good luck.

Again, welcome

Just another newbie agreeing with the same, GSP' are great dogs(w/good trainers), for birds and the home. Houston 54 What do you do to transfer from dove/quail to pheasant in your training?

Back