NESD Mid-November

Golden Hour

I hurt my back at the end of October, took a deer hunting trip last weekend and was FINALLY able to get out on Friday and Saturday afternoons. Here is what I found:

Friday - Went to a WPA about 25 minutes from town. This is a spot that has been very good the past few years, albeit, very difficult to hunt as it is a gigantic mess of weeds. It needs a controlled burn, IMO, but that's another topic. First thing I noticed was that it had been grazed. I doubt the cattle got much off of it because of the weeds, but they did thin things out pretty dramatically. Walked to the slough, didn't see anything and I busted the thin ice for Sage to get a drink. While letting her rest, I saw a handful of pheasants fly across the slough and appeared to land a couple hundred yards from us. We worked our way over there and a rooster flushed unexpectedly about 35 yards out, I took an obligatory shot and ended up missing completely. We moved up the ravine where he flushed from Sage got birdy. It took a while and a lot of back and forth, but we finally pinned the rooster in another ravine and put him in the vest. From there, we kept moving and flushed a lot of pheasants, only the hens were close. On the way back to the truck, I was lost in daydream when Sage flushed a rooster in front of me. Quick shot, good retrieve, rooster two in the vest about 30 yards from the truck. Total pheasants seen - approximately 12 hens and 6 roosters.

Saturday, went a perpendicular direction from town and hunted a WPA that I scouted this past March. It is a bedroom property and I didn't expect any more than a rooster or two. Good grass and some cattails for roosting, corn next door. Cover was better, much less running and Sage had a great point and flush on a rooster about 3 yards from me. One down. We went up to the corner of the property which abutted a small CRP spot. Sage wanted to go there, but I had a brief discussion with her about not crossing the fence. After a couple other loud bursts of conversation on my part, she obliged and we moved the other direction. We get down into a little ravine and she indicates that there is a pheasant nearby. After much circling and rustling through the grass, she finally got him to fly. I was to the left on the shot and could see the rooster running through the grass as he crested a hill. The video I took showed a ten minute search, Sage being as far away as 300 yards, coming back and then heading far away again. I just waited and whispered a prayer and she went on point, then lunged in to catch him. Undoubtedly, it was the top moment of this season. We worked back to the truck, Sage showed lots of interest, but we never saw another pheasant. Total pheasants seen - 2 roosters

I left home about 3:00pm each day and waited for the pheasants to come back to roost. I feel confident that a hunt at 1pm at the second spot would have yielded nothing. The first spot would have as there was a food source. Anyway, I just wanted to share the hunts and let folks know that there are birds around to be hunted.
Here is the video of the first hunt. The second should be up in the coming days.

Post Hunt Pic2.jpgPost Hunt Pic 3 Dad Birthday.jpg

Attachments

• Post Hunt Pic 3 Dad Birthday.jpg
    Post Hunt Pic 3 Dad Birthday.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
Good report Golden. I feel yor pain on the back issue,good you are recovering. I hurt mine the weekend prior to the opener, finally getting out with limited walking in the deep cover now. Haven't anchored one blocking yet, but didn't get a couple walking cover saturday.

I just watched the video, with my 5 mt old GSP camped on my lap. He intently watched the video for couple minutes and then off & on. Good video, I had never noticed my dog watching video, my old GSP never watched the TV, this little guy will sometimes.

Good video and dog work. I empathize with your back injury. My back went out on Sept 22nd. Could not walk for two weeks, then crutches for two weeks. Herniated disk pushing on a nerve. The absolute worst pain I have ever experienced. Morphine IV in the emergency room didn't even touch the pain. Should have asked for the maximum dose. I can finally walk about all I want but have cancelled my week after thanksgiving hunt. That make two years in a row my back has kept me out of the pheasant fields. Last year my back went out on me at 7:30AM on our first day of a 5 day hunt. Spent the week in bed just waiting for my buddies to return and tell me the days stories. Friends are still heading out on Saturday for a two day drive to south central SD. Just like last year, I will be awaiting their daily report. Not the way I wanted this to go.

There is a possibility I'll get out around Christmas but a two day drive that time of year gets dicey. And I'm a southerner now and from what they tell me, it gets cold in SD!

Have a great day all, and keep posting reports and videos. For us that can't make it out, reports and videos are all we have. Cheers, john

Good report Golden. I feel yor pain on the back issue,good you are recovering. I hurt mine the weekend prior to the opener, finally getting out with limited walking in the deep cover now. Haven't anchored one blocking yet, but didn't get a couple walking cover saturday.

I just watched the video, with my 5 mt old GSP camped on my lap. He intently watched the video for couple minutes and then off & on. Good video, I had never noticed my dog watching video, my old GSP never watched the TV, this little guy will sometimes.

Glad your back is improving as well.

Sage will watch with passing interest from time to time. Duck/goose videos get her going even more. I suppose it's all that quacking and honking, lol.

Good video and dog work. I empathize with your back injury. My back went out on Sept 22nd. Could not walk for two weeks, then crutches for two weeks. Herniated disk pushing on a nerve. The absolute worst pain I have ever experienced. Morphine IV in the emergency room didn't even touch the pain. Should have asked for the maximum dose. I can finally walk about all I want but have cancelled my week after thanksgiving hunt. That make two years in a row my back has kept me out of the pheasant fields. Last year my back went out on me at 7:30AM on our first day of a 5 day hunt. Spent the week in bed just waiting for my buddies to return and tell me the days stories. Friends are still heading out on Saturday for a two day drive to south central SD. Just like last year, I will be awaiting their daily report. Not the way I wanted this to go.

There is a possibility I'll get out around Christmas but a two day drive that time of year gets dicey. And I'm a southerner now and from what they tell me, it gets cold in SD!

Have a great day all, and keep posting reports and videos. For us that can't make it out, reports and videos are all we have. Cheers, john
So sorry to hear about your back issues. I've tweaked my back before, but this was one of those, holy ship, do I need to go to the ER 9/10 pain experiences. I used to think chiropractors were quacks, but found a good one who treats you and sends you home with the right exercises to do at home and doesn't want you to come back unless you think you need it. Anyway, it felt great to get out again. Praying you have a quick recovery and, more importantly, that you can get out and help us control the SD pheasant population!!

thanks Golden hour. I went to the chiropractor immediately after the event. He came out to the car as I could not get inside and immediately told me I had to go to the ER. I did get morphine and it didn't help. But I am much better now and just didn't want to take a chance on stepping in a hole and ending up in the bed again. As my stability improves, so does my desire to get back to SD towards the end of the season. And trust me, if and when I get back, i will be relentless!

Back