need alittle help

sage

hey guys i need some help... we got a black lab thats 9 weeks old and its does nothing but jump on u and nip at u... i need help to get her to quit iv tried to smach it on the nose, i have done everything but kick it across the yard.. lol i have a 2 year old back lab to and it never did that i know all dogs are not the same but if it went for the kids( 6,4,3 yr old ) i would put up with it but they will not go near her... so i can really use the help plzzzzzzzzzz... thank
shon

Sage, you should try a throw can. A throw can is an empty pop can with some change in it (2 pennies, 1 dime) and tape over the can opening. You throw the can at the dog and say "No", do your best to make contact...it won't hurt the dog and aim for the back or rear...the noise really scares the dog and they don't like it...It works really good too when you can sneak up on the dog...Also make sure to pick it up quickly as you don't want the dog to think it is a toy, you want them to not like it...Eventually you can just shake it...But will still at times need to throw it...My older dogs cower at just the sight of it.

Last edited:
Make sure the dog has lots of toys to chew on. Part of the biting is play and part of it is due to teething. Tell the dog it is good when it chews on it's toys for positive reinforcement. You're right when you say every dog is different. My female black lab Scout was a big bitter and super feisty; however, she is smart as a whip and very driven and a huge "cuddle bear" as my wife puts it. She grew out of it thankfully but my wife had a lot of puppy bite bruises on the back of her legs. Just be patient and remember it will grow out of it. With patience and consistent correction the pup will learn from it's own experience. Also playing with other older dogs can help too as they seem to be pretty good at putting a pup in it's place and helping it to learn it's manners.

I was recently given this little piece of advise from a very respected bird dog trainer... When the dog is up on you, step on its back feet. Not hard enough to break or seriously hurt the dog. It only took a couple for mine to get the idea that its not good!!!

hope this helps :thumbsup:

I agree with whah has been said, also puppies chew give it something to chew on, you have a lab pup, most labs want to retrieve, make sure the dog is getting enough exercise, some people do not like to hear this but if it a nuisance kind of nipping, I bite em lightly on the ear or back of the neck myself,witrh a determined growl thats what there mother would do, it also helps establish the pack leader, you need to establish that in young assertive pups. Good luck with her and have fun..:thumbsup:

JMO,
Chip :cheers:

thanks guys i will try anything... i let her run around with sage was alittle scared at first didnt know what sage would do lol but the pup was jumping and nipping at sage let just say sage put her in her place... al day the pup didnt jump or nip at anyone.. how long will it last no one nows... thanks again for all the advise...
shon

Please don't get angry with your dog turn this energy into drive.
I have two dogs my first one did none of this biting. The new pup I got two years ago is a Springer and she bit so much that I thought she had Springer Rage. What we had to do was refocus her on retrieving she just wanted something to chase. I had to teach my kids to just stand still and try not to scream and she would move on. The kids soon learned to carry a mini tennis ball with them in the house when she was out of her crate and when she came for their ankles they would toss the ball for her, worked like a charm.

Back