Nebraska

Bird-man

So, finally made it out to the McCook area last week. Unbelievable. 3 days, 2 small coveys of quail. Only about 6 birds in each covey. Took one bird. And felt a little bad about that. Saw a group of about 10 hens and maybe two roosters bust out wild 100 yards away. That's it. 3 days. Dry as chalk dust like I've never seen it out there. My dog did a real good job of hunting in such conditions, but it was tough. Once again, some of my go to spots were empty. Looks like this is going to be one bad season gents.

good luck to all. And Merry Christmas.

Had about the same bad luck around McCook myself opening weekend. One scrawny older phez.

McCook area last weekend

I went to the McCook area last weekend (Nov 7 and 8) and had a similar experience. While I found good looking cover just west of McCook, arround Palisade, I found no birds. After staying at the Ceader Inn 4 Less, I headded east and found excellent cover, but, was not successful.
My dog (English Setter) worked a running bird for about 75 yards, then, when cover ran out, a hen flushed while being pointed. Ont he way back to the car, a rooster fllushed wild about 75 yards out.
I found another great looking area, mixed trees, plum thickets, waist high cover next to corn and wheat. I talked to a group of 4 hunters using 5 little short hairs, and they said they only flushed two hens the whole morning.
Earlier in the season, I had a hard time finding good cover, but around McCook and east of there I did find excellent looking cover, but no birds.
I at least got to hunt some cover that looked good. The cover around Imperial was very sparce.
Anyway, I will keep trying, thinking of trying the Phillipsburg, KS area for quail next week.

Good luck to all

Back