Nebraska bird info request

MTbirddogs

Greetings. I lived in NE for ten years in the 90s, and I have their lifetime hunting license. I am planning a January trip to the state to do some pheasant hunting. I'm retired so I can travel anywhere, but the recent blizzard changed my plans to hunt the panhandle. In that light, I'm hoping someone could point me to a general area of the state that still has a few birds. It would be just me and my golden retriever. I had thought about the SW part of the state, but it sounds like last summer's drought really hit the birds hard. I used to hit the Rainwater Basins as well. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, but I would sure appreciate any insight to help me narrow things down a bit. And I'm perfectly content to knock on doors if need be. Thanks!

Greetings. I lived in NE for ten years in the 90s, and I have their lifetime hunting license. I am planning a January trip to the state to do some pheasant hunting. I'm retired so I can travel anywhere, but the recent blizzard changed my plans to hunt the panhandle. In that light, I'm hoping someone could point me to a general area of the state that still has a few birds. It would be just me and my golden retriever. I had thought about the SW part of the state, but it sounds like last summer's drought really hit the birds hard. I used to hit the Rainwater Basins as well. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, but I would sure appreciate any insight to help me narrow things down a bit. And I'm perfectly content to knock on doors if need be. Thanks!
I was out in the rainwater basin area last week before the storms hit. Only hunted one day but saw birds, move a covey of quail at each site we hunted. I stayedbin holdrege and hunted with a couple hour radius east or west. PM if you want more detailed info, would be glad to share.

I was out in the rainwater basin area last week before the storms hit. Only hunted one day but saw birds, move a covey of quail at each site we hunted. I stayedbin holdrege and hunted with a couple hour radius east or west. PM if you want more detailed info, would be glad to share.
Thanks for that info! I always liked hunting the RWB in the 90s, and have many fond memories of following my dogs through those WPAs. I'll definitely reach out if it looks like I'm going to make the trip.

Pheasant numbers are good in the Northeast corner of the state. Opportunities for public land may not be what they are in other parts of the state. I have a friend from the McCook area, he normally goes back to hunt for 2 weeks in November. He didn't even bother to make the trip this year. If you plan to get up into the far Northeast part of the state, shoot me a message and I will help you out however I can.

Can confirm Southwest Nebraska is a barren wasteland. Drought really hurt numbers. My Dad and I have hunted from Benkelman up past Ogallala and had one rooster November and December. Poor dogs are chewin at the bit to get out there but just not worth the drive from Denver.

Pheasant numbers are good in the Northeast corner of the state. Opportunities for public land may not be what they are in other parts of the state. I have a friend from the McCook area, he normally goes back to hunt for 2 weeks in November. He didn't even bother to make the trip this year. If you plan to get up into the far Northeast part of the state, shoot me a message and I will help you out however I can.
Thanks for the info, and your offer! The NE part of the state is one area I've never really hunted before. I used to see a decent amount of quality habitat when I would travel through the area for work. I may end up in SD if the weather cooperates, since it's not a far of a drive for me. I'll reach out if I make it down your way.

Can confirm Southwest Nebraska is a barren wasteland. Drought really hurt numbers. My Dad and I have hunted from Benkelman up past Ogallala and had one rooster November and December. Poor dogs are chewin at the bit to get out there but just not worth the drive from Denver.
I appreciate you letting me know. I hope things turn around next year with some timely rain.

I would agree with the previous post regarding the SW and the panhandle. I walked a LOT of miles this season and ended up with a few birds. Saw a lot of hens, which I find encouraging but roosters were few and far between.

Any experience(s) in the area of Wayne County this year?

Any experience(s) in the area of Wayne County this year?
I have not been down that way yet. Today I hit a walk-in piece in Dakota County. I had three hens sit tight, but they were the only birds I saw. I am planning to hit some public spots further west on Wednesday. Will have to see what the weather does. They're calling for 3-7" of snow, starting Wednesday morning.

Back