NE kansas quail?

Hey guys
im planning my first quail hunt this year and we are headed up to northeastern kansas. Does anyone know how the bird numbers are up there?
What have you seen?

have seen alot of birds near the seneca area..good luck,

I was up by Seneca a few weeks ago and found 2 coveys of about 12 to 15 birds on a 3 hour hunt. They were in plum thickets. Wish I could have stayed a little longer but had to get back.

well now i heard the weather is supposed to be real nasty tomorow so i might post pone it to next weekend. if i go though i post back on what i see. thanks for the reports.

Went out Yesterday morning, with it being a little colder and snow on the ground the birds were holding tight..Hunted for about 4 hour and went home with 3 roosters and 5 bobs..

congrats and thanks Oggie

thanks for the report! Glad to hear you did well. I couldn't make it out because of my school/work schedule, but I'm getting a break from both of them toward the end of next week and I'm going bird hunting!!! The conditions are good now and I hope it stays this way until I can make it out.

good to hear you did well
once the ice storm goes away im going to get up there
did the seneca and hiawatha area get hit hard enough with ice to effect bird populations?

ice?

I'm not sure, but I've been wondering the same thing KSlabman. I sure hope it hasn't affected them too much. I don't think it was bad enough to cause any problems.

I am in KC about once a month----maybe I need to throw the shotgun in the truck. I see there are a good number of WIHA in the Brown, Doniphan, Nemaha County area, do they get hit hard?

Maynard Reece
Dodge City

I think of right know they haven't been effected to much..But there calling for 3 more days of freezing rain..keep fingers crossed.:confused:

My buddies and I always hunt Jefferson and Jackson counties and find good quail numbers on private and public land but this year has been the worst in the past five years... Not sure what has caused this but we are finding about half as many birds as last year on the same properties.

Back