Nat'l Wild Pheasant Conservation Plan

1pheas4

I was just looking through the Summer 2013 issue of Pheasants Forever's magazine and came across an article (page 90) discussing the National Wild Pheasant Conservation Plan that was conceived by the Midwest Pheasant Study Group:confused: of the Midwest Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies.

Has anyone heard of this group before? This is the first I've heard anything about it.

Also Budd Veverka (with Indiana div of fish and wildlife--who according to the article is playing a large role in coordinating this program) made a positive statement regarding the non-native issue surrounding the ring neck pheasant;

"ultimately we felt that this bird was not only economically important, it was also important from a hunting heritage standpoint. In the more than 100 years pheasants have been in this country, the bird truly has become a beloved "American" species." (page 91)

Anyway, I was hoping someone had some more information/updates on this plan.

Thanks. --Nick:)

Last edited:
Nick,

The link below give more information on the National Wild Pheasant Conservation Plan:
http://www.fishwildlife.org/files/NationalWildPheasantConservationPlan.pdf

The plan is a step in the right direction. The plan should also include a serious efforts to obtain or add more authentic wild True Pheasant genes ringneck type (from abroad) to the wild N. American pheasant population.

Thousands of wild mallard ducks fly cross to North America each year from Asia and Siberia and cross with mallards over here thus adding or maintain authentic wild genes.

We now have more snow geese than ever before and many of those geese hatch on the Russia side of the arctic circle.

Years ago the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service was in charge of an organization
called "Foreign Game Bird Introduction Program" in the 1950's 60's and 70's. Thats how we got the pure White-Winged Pheasant (Bianchi Pheasants) started in New Mexico and Texas and the Korean ringneck started in the Bootheel of Mo.

We need to get a similar program started in 2014.

Last edited:
Preston, with the "All Native" attitude of the USF&W and USDA do you think there is a chance that any non native animal or plant will be relocated in North America? I don't, the days of game management are gone, it's "wildlife management" And managed only for native wildlife.
The few of us concerned about pheasants and the future of pheasants are on our own.

Preston, with the "All Native" attitude of the USF&W and USDA do you think there is a chance that any non native animal or plant will be relocated in North America? I don't, the days of game management are gone, it's "wildlife management" And managed only for native wildlife.
The few of us concerned about pheasants and the future of pheasants are on our own.

Yeah. We've got it backwards. Smart game management results in wildlife management. Look at the benefits South Dakota's wildlife and native habitats have experienced due to game management of the ring-neck pheasant. They've got the right idea out there.

Around my neck of the woods "all-native" has gone way too far. I can't even take a walk "off-tail" on public lands (in many areas) because I may disturbed something native. I feel like I'm being told I can't enjoy the land that I and all other tax payers paid for. We seem to be placing us humans on the non native list within our own world--the world we belong to.

Last edited:
management

here in colorado our fish and game dept. gave up on fish and game management years ago, their main goal now is to manage people and that's it. elk and deer get some attention but most of it goes to people and they have a hard time even treating people with respect. anyway

cheers

Back