muzzleloader

i am going on a new mexico elk hunt where it is a muzzle only unit,i have never owned one and was wanting to know from guys on here that have one whats the best kind for distance and knocking an elks ass off.Please tell me from your experiences whats the best brand and what i need thanks.

i am going on a new mexico elk hunt where it is a muzzle only unit,i have never owned one and was wanting to know from guys on here that have one whats the best kind for distance and knocking an elks ass off.Please tell me from your experiences whats the best brand and what i need thanks.

That's a loaded Question. :D Thompson Has not let me down. Best of luck In NM. Muzzies work, You have to spend time at a Range to build skill with them. :)

I have an Encore that is very accurate. I'm confident to take an 80 yard head shot with it if I have a good rest. I've shot a Savage 10-ML II a lot. It's one of the most acccurate. It is very heavy. My Encore is a pleasure to carry. Any brand name ml is probably going to have a 1:28 twist. The bullets you'll use will be just as important. I shoot Precision Rifle's QT which are awsome. Supposedly Harvester Muzzleloader has a crushed rib sabot that shoots a Hornady Lever Revolution bullet with extreme accuracy. Midway said they wouldn't have them until mid-February. A lot of the western states have goofy ml regs so some bullet types, powders, and rifle makes may not be allowed. Happy hunting.

I have a TC Encore also, great gun very accurate for me when using Powerbelt Bullets. Shoots very tight groups with the Power belts. I tried some of the TC recomended sabots when I bought it 8-10 years ago, and they tumbled and every third or forth one missed the target completly. The Power Belts have never let me down. I also have a Hawken with a 1 in 66 twist that will only shoot round balls. It is very accurate but a round ball is a far cry from the power belts when it comes to collatral damage.

Powerbelts are easy to load and accurate but I believe Precesions QT bullets will beat them at 150 to 200 yards. I shot powerbelts for years. They are soft and wonder what would happen if you hit an elk in the shoulder catching bone. Hit a deer behind the shoulder with the QTs and it'll run 70 yards. Hit a deer behind the shoulder with a Powerbelt and there it lays. Powerbelt makes one heck of a wound. Do yourself a favor and go to Precision Rifles web page and check them out, it's extremely informational.

Last edited:
I have a TC Encore also, great gun very accurate for me when using Powerbelt Bullets. Shoots very tight groups with the Power belts. I tried some of the TC recomended sabots when I bought it 8-10 years ago, and they tumbled and every third or forth one missed the target completly. The Power Belts have never let me down. I also have a Hawken with a 1 in 66 twist that will only shoot round balls. It is very accurate but a round ball is a far cry from the power belts when it comes to collatral damage.

I have a TC and also shoot power belts, I think PowerBelts are more consistently accurate than any sabot I have bought in the pass.

good luck with your Elk Hunt

Back