Moraine Valley

Hockeybob

Has anyone hunted at Moraine Valley? My son is at school at ISU in Bloomington and this site is about 15 minutes away. Might make a nice father / son visit :)
Any information or opinions is appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob,haven't hunted there personally but friends have and loved it.
Said nice cover and not crowded like Des Plaines CA.

I go there quite a bit. There is also some decent hunting around Clinton Lake if you don't want to pay for birds.

While my youngest daughter attended ISU a few years ago, we used to hunt at Morraine Valley a few times a year. Since then I haven't been back (maybe I'll try it again this fall.
Yes - much more relaxing the DesPlaines.

I've been there many times, usually always get the limit. Don't wait till the last minute to register online the system needs few days in advance. Don't go on November 14 that is the first youth hunt there. I will be there with my 14yr old for that one. Good luck.

Moraine View is a Great place to hunt. I will be honest there was a lot of water this past year, which made the hunts very challenging. Also great experience with the breakfast there as well.

Most areas held water this past fall into early winter. Today, that water is ice but at-least the birds can utilize the habitat now that it's frozen.

Year after year we've been in a wet pattern. Water is great but man-O'-man if we don't get rain every day It's been every two to three days.

We really need a few years with some dryer weather. Not too dry, but a few springs (in particular) were the hens can nest without having a "do-over nest" due to too much rain.

Much of our existing habitat in Illinois today is lower land. Land that's too wet to farm or develop. This leaves marginal nesting cover for birds. Cover that floods way too easily with heavy rains. Hopefully by spring we'll be in a dryer pattern for a bit. We'll see.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. lol

Nick

Back