MEA Saturday Hunt Report

Munster927

Me and the pup went out west close to the SD border for the day yesterday and had a great first walk. So good I only got to hunt for 2 hours before I had my limit, but I'll take that any day. I saw quite a few hunters, more than I expected to see. The walk we did, we saw close to 20 hens and a few flushes that I didn't know if they were young roosters or hens. All the birds we encountered were in the cattails, so pound the cattails and you should encounter some birds. It's so dry out there, I can't remember a time I was in the cattails this early in the year.20201017_105249.jpg

Nice !!! Congratulations to you and you’re pup . French Brittany?

How was the scenting conditions ? Your dog retrieve all birds ?

She's a Small Munsterlander. And the scenting conditions were pretty good. There was a bit of dew in the grass and a light wind, but in the cattails not the best. Hardly any wind in the cattails. She's got a great nose and she's still young, only a year and a half old so she'll get even better from here. And no retrieves on those 2 birds. She'll retrieve for me, but the situation didn't work out for a retrieve. The first bird I had marked and walked over to it and called her over. She didn't come so I went to the marked spot, found the bird. Looked back at her and saw her on point and another rooster got up which I of course missed. The other bird I had marked surprisingly well, she got down wind of it and tracked it down but I was following her as she tracked so I was right behind her when she found it haha

Good Girl , The dog work and the great outdoors my favorite part of the hunt , congratulations , thanks for the pictures , looking forward to the Kansas opener .

Looks like a fun hunt! I will say, it’s hard to miss ‘em with a Maxus! I absolutely love mine.

Looks like a fun hunt! I will say, it’s hard to miss ‘em with a Maxus! I absolutely love mine.
Yes I love my Maxus haha I converted my uncle from an over under to a Maxus and I'm working on converting my dad to one from an over under as well haha

I'm also considering picking up a 20 gauge Silver Micro. Basically a Maxus but 6 pounds 2 ounces haha

Back