Mallards?

dukxdog

I've not hunted ducks in SD but was curious as to where the good areas in the state are. I hunt mallards on water and in fields where I live.

I have seen large (2-3,000 birds) migrating flocks of mallards late in November in SD but that's sporadic at best and not every year.

Just wondering.

Thanks

Lots of variability in the question, but the Missouri River is probably going to be your best bet. The past couple years have been good for us here in the Watertown area as we haven't had any early blizzards and the bigger bodies of water have stayed open until the 10th of December or so. But I've seen a lot of years when a big storm in early November will send the migration right over the top of us.

Best bet is to be flexible, talk to locals and local GFP officers.

My son and I have hunted the Indian Reservation in and around Sisseton since 2018 and have been well pleased with the number and variety of puddle ducks we shot there; even a few geese. Lots of lakes and potholes. We hunted in mid-late October; the weather could get real iffy past about mid-November I imagine. Come prepared with the shells, clothing, etc. you need because there's not much in the way of retail sporting goods stores up there.

We hunted the Platte area a couple years ago late October and there were ducks everywhere and I mean everywhere. Really cool to see. We hunted the Wakonda area last year same timing and hardly saw a duck.

I don't hunt waterfowl in SD, but I used to hunt ducks and geese in MN for many years. Seemed like the main push of migrating ducks like mallards always occurred when I was in my deer stand which is early to mid November. The season opens here in late September and if we get an early cold snap in October, the local wood ducks and teal leave. Then there are very few ducks until the main migration in November. As some have mentioned, timing is everything here. I would personally plan to go later in the season because fall has been quite warm here recently.

We hunted the Platte area a couple years ago late October and there were ducks everywhere and I mean everywhere. Really cool to see. We hunted the Wakonda area last year same timing and hardly saw a duck.
Some areas around Platte are pretty sloughy. Wakonda isn't. It does (or did years ago, anyway) have "The Pit" bar. Had an open room with a toilet way up on a pedestal called The Throne. Come to think of it, I can't imagine that exists anymore. Safety. Privacy. Hygiene. There were all sorts of issues with it nobody seemed to care about. Fun stuff at the time.

Platte was the first area I ever hunted in SD and there is some beautiful country around there. During one death march in a river valley we found a spot up on a plateau overlooking the river and our whole group of 4 just stopped to take it in for a moment. I've told my wife she can throw me to the wind in that very spot when my day comes.

You'll need to get a leftover license if there are any left in the area you hunt. can get a 3day license in some areas but thats only good for private land.

Back