Lyme Disease Inoculation

wapsijim

Do many of you dog owners vaccinate to prevent Lyme disease? My vet recommended it for my dog since she is out running grass and weeds a lot. It wasn't too expensive either. I think she gets 2 shots a year apart.

My dogs have their shots but my older lab still got lymes and bad, he's been on pills for 2 months two separate times and now he's on steroids.
Lymes can be some nasty crap for some and hardly effect the next.

Yeah, I used to get my last dog the shot for it - but like the post above, I've heard it's not foolproof. But now that they have come out with Bravecto, which kills ticks within 12 hours of them biting (it takes minimum 24 hours of the tick being attached to transmit Lyme), I use that. I can tell you from experience with dozens of tick bits on my new dog this year that it works - we usually find them completely dried up and dead on her pillow. I'd suggest you ask your vet about this as an alternative or even as-well-as the vaccine. If you search around on gun dog forums etc...I think you'll find similarly positive reports from other dog owners who have tried it.
Cheers,
Dave

Lyme is just one. There are many tick borne diseases.

Anaplasmosis is another. I have had two Brittanys come down with Anaplasmosis (blood test detected) including one right now. The other diagnosis was about 10 years ago.

I do hunt in woods that have deer ticks. I try to be diligent with sprays and occasional tick & flea baths, but do find an occasional deer tick full of blood. I will look into Bravecto.

The lyme vaccination is annual and not cheap.

Some dogs do seem more vulnerable.

Anaplasmosis usually shows up first as fever and then lethargy. My younger Britt "shivers" with a fever - so we knew something was wrong. The anaplastmosis bacterium caused her white blood cell count to drop to the very low side of normal and her platelet count was dangerously low. Antibiotics kicked in and she is recovering very fast.

Back