Loooonnnggg Quail Shot

BritChaser

My hunting buddy, a superb wingshooter, made quite a shot on a bobwhite yesterday. It was so long, we told him to pace it off with one fellow marking the spot from where he shot. Eighty paces. Assuming a 30 inch pace, that's 66 2/3 yards. Gun: Beretta 12 ga. o/u; shell: 1 1/4 oz. no. 6 lead; choke: modified; conditions: 5 - 7 mph downwind, straight away.

Last edited:
I usually wake up right after a shot like that! :D

long phez shot

same thing on a pheasant a couple years back, way out there flush; crossing shot @ (three guys paced it off) 68 paces, couldn't believe the bird dropped like a rock
plucked the bird to find out how many "holes" it had, couldn't find a single one, until we looked @ the head, one pellet just below the eye, how frickin' lucky is that
to this day he'll never let us forget how "great" a shot he is

Long Shot

Britchaser,

I made a similar shot once with a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Actually a little farther than that. We didn't step it off but the guy with me just shook his head like he couldn't believe it.

Grouseman

Those are called "Golden BB" shots. One lucky pellet hits the bird in a vital area, usually head or neck.

The first pheasant I ever shot was a rooster at something like 70 yards, with a .410 . He fell like a rock. When Grandpa and I cleaned the bird that night we found a single pellet at the base of the skull where it had severed the spinal cord.

Sorry I guys I have a hard time celebrating long shots on birds. Shooting 60 yard birds with a tool designed to be used at 30-40 does not make sense to me.

For the record and for the new hunters on the site, are you guys regularly taking cracks at wild birds from 60 to 70 yards and beyond?

(Herr Moeller was submitting while I was composing.)

Anyway, at some point in the field, sportsmanship trumps marksmanship, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Sorry I guys I have a hard time celebrating long shots on birds. Shooting 60 yard birds with a tool designed to be used at 30-40 does not make sense to me.

I'm in a agreement with you on taking a 'hail mary" shot. I learned my lesson the very first year I went pheasant hunting - I took a shot at a crossing phez @ about 65 yards, after we finished the field the elder statesman of the group pulled me aside and ripped me a new one, so that everyone else in the group heard exactly what he thought. After that talking to, I don't think I've taken a shot longer than 35 yards and it has been many years since that lesson

This past weekend I did the same with a pheasant.... Did not pace it off but it was an easy 60yrds.... When I cleaned it there was ONE hole underneath the right eye that went through the entire head.... He fell like a brick...

Back