Looking for potential hunting partners in south central nebraska

tnsetterhunter

Hi,
I haven't hunted in south central nebraska for the last few years as my hunting partners having dwindled due to age. I am thinking of going the fall 2024 and am looking for potential hunting partners. I am 65 and in moderate shape . I have a 5 year old english setter . Anyone interested please send me a message.

I might be in the area. I haven’t hunted there the last couple years because the numbers were so bad. Seems you got some rain so could consider stopping on my way south. I’m ancient with a car load of goldens, we don’t kill many but sure put a lot in the air.

Hi,
I haven't hunted in south central nebraska for the last few years as my hunting partners having dwindled due to age. I am thinking of going the fall 2024 and am looking for potential hunting partners. I am 65 and in moderate shape . I have a 5 year old english setter . Anyone interested please send me a message.
I am a new guy to. I might be moving to Sioux Falls , South Dakota if I can sell my Condo . How far are you from Sioux Falls? I don't have a dog but if I move I will get one but that's a whole lit of work to do. English Setters are pretty dogs . I saw two at LAX used as petting dogs for the general public.
Leftyhunter

hi lefthunter,
The area in Nebraska I have hunted is a few hours from Sioux Falls. Generally, the pheasant hunting is better in South dakota. I just havent been there and dont know the area. I am not against giving south dakota a try for pheasants though.

hi lefthunter,
The area in Nebraska I have hunted is a few hours from Sioux Falls. Generally, the pheasant hunting is better in South dakota. I just havent been there and dont know the area. I am not against giving south dakota a try for pheasants though.
That's interesting. I meant a hunter in California who spoke about making a pilgrimage to Nebraska because they had so much public land that wasn't crowded for waterfowl hunting. Ringnecks of course can live in marshes. Once upon a time the the California Fish and Game used to plant Ringnecks for junior hunters at certain USFW public refuges.
When I was in Sioux Falls I had a nice conversation with a clerk at Scheels and he said the best hunting in South Dakota was a good three to four hour drive from Sioux Falls. Even best friends don't reveal their deer hunting spots.
I am up for all kinds of hunting. When my dad was alive my son and I had good times hunting crows and pigeons in the Southern San Joaquin Valley. So for me a willing dairy farmer with a pigeon problem is gold.
Hunting Ringnecks looks like fun and if I get skunked then the dog had fun.
Right now I am trying to find a buyer for my Condo and the market in Culver City appears to be cooling off. So I will let you know if things change. Definitely there's tons of scouting plus buying and training a dog assuming I retire early vs working full time.
My understanding is any good hunting dog breed requires a huge time commitment unless one is wealthy and can sub contract with a professional dog trainer.
Leftyhunter

There are a lot of ducks in nebraska. I have actually hunted both ducks and pheasants a few times. I enjoy hunting with a dog and am not sure I would go without one. I havent hunted with others and their dog and it is not the same as your own. Dogs are a big commitment. I have found though if you get one with a hunting pedigree you do more obedience training than anything else. They are born to hunt. Sounds like you are beginning on a fun adventure.

Back