Looking for hunting areas

malbus

I just recently moved to Quincy and was wondering if anyone was familiar with area. Im looking for spots for hunting, getting my dog out running/working a field, and general information on what the area has to offer.

Welcome to Illinois. The state with two governors. lol

Take a look at the IDNR website. You may have a state put-and-take area near you. Though it may be too late for applications, you can still do stand by at the gate. Just get there very early to be one of the first in line.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/programs/controlled_hunt/default.asp

Unfortunately Illinois is not a "outdoors-man friendly" state thanks to Chicago clout and pull on the state. A lot of $ is spent in areas other than our natural resources.:(

Quincy is close to Iowa isn't it? Have you considered hunting there? That may be your best best this fall.

Sorry I can't offer more help. Good luck.

Thank you for the helpful link. I agree about Illinois not being outdoors-man/woman friendly.

Illinois is a little hunter friendly if you are a waterfowler or deer hunter. We do maintain some of the largest record deer ever taken. But, for all of us uplanders - the state is horrible. Go to Iowa or Northern Missouri-
I have heard of some good areas to quail hunt in Northern/Central Missouri.

Hey i live about 30 minutes north of quincy and do a lot of bird hunting in iowa. Gonna head up for a hunt the weekend of Thanksgiving. Going about 30 minutes away from Iowa City. We went up with 4 guys and no dogs 2 weekends ago and seen a good number of roosters and hens.

Back