LL Bean Technical Boots - made the plunge

Got my bean boots today. First off I'm a traditional guy wood on guns, leather boots. So this is a stretch for me. I fried a pair of LL bean Kangaroo Boots in 2 months. Bean is taking them back. They have the best return policy of any company I've ever dealt with. love to do business with them
First impressions:
- boots look like "athletic" moon boots of the late 70s--- never owned a pair tho
- these boots are light
- love the boa tightening system
- feels like I'm wearing sneakers
- no break in required. These suckers are like slippers
I'll give a wear report and waterproof report in the coming months.
I think they have a winner providing you care about comfort and functionality.

I'm on my 3rd pair, first two leaked bad,this pair no leads yet. love these boots, hope they hold up

Thats kind of scary. I read somewhere they had so many issues with the first batch they stopped production in 2011 until they got issues resolved. Please tell me the first 2 were from the original batch? These babies have potential. They're goofy looking but comfortable.

first pair was. 2nd pair this spring. 3rd pair, went straight into a bucket of water for 10 min. dry as a bone.I liked the way they fit so well, that I wasn't going to give up on them. now if they will just hold up to everyday wear

I have a friend that works as a guide at a preserve. He gave them a try. Ended up sending them back due to leaks. Hopefully they've improved.

I was in class one time when the instructor was talking about boots leaking and he said his friend had the answer----he fills his boots up with water to see if they leak........

Llbean moon boots.

I have second generation bean tech boots. They're great. More of a cold weather boot.

LL Bean - Tech Boot Update

Just back from SD and the boots have held up well and show no wear and tear. Normally after a couple of days the leather boots would be worn and the polish taken off.
So far I'm still liking them!

Uh oh!

Second set, second generation LLBean tech boots are now leaking, even in wet grass. Only seven months old. Second pair to do this. Going back to LLbean's.

Second set, second generation LLBean tech boots are now leaking, even in wet grass. Only seven months old. Second pair to do this. Going back to LLbean's.

Were they h2o proof before ? I asked them to test the boots before they sent the new pair out. First pair felt like my feet were in a old waterbed.

This is my second season with mine, I bought them from the LL Bean outlet for $50, they are a fantastic pair of boots...

Were they h2o proof before ? I asked them to test the boots before they sent the new pair out. First pair felt like my feet were in a old waterbed.

Yes they were waterproof for several months. But now, even in wet grass, they leak. I can wring water out of my socks. Otherwise I really want to like them. They are very comfortable. I can wear them all day long in dry conditions. I hunt about two hours per day maybe 4 to 5 days per week.

Walt MI/USA

My stiching on my LL Bean tech. boot ripped all the way from top to bottom (maybe 2 inches?) on my Kansas Hunt. I contacted LL Bean when I got home and they were real nice and asked if I wanted a refund--told them no I wasn't ready to give up on these boots yet due to how light and comfortable they were and love the boa system. Hopefully this replacement pair will hold up.

Last edited:
Back