Little ones!

KansasGsp

Not much action on the Kansas board, figured I'd post a neat story. My family owns some ground in SE Kansas (an area with no wild pheasants) and 3 years ago we released some pheasants. If I remember right it was around 7 or 8 roosters and maybe 5 hens. Seen a couple of the roosters around for a year or so but since then it's just been one old rooster that comes out of the road in the mornings. Anyways, my father in-law told me a couple days ago he was cutting hay and flushed a hen pheasant and she had probably 10 little ones with her that also flushed!!!

KansasGsp thanks for the update. That is great news, is that that area that you talked about in a post in Jan. 2016."Best place to get pheasant chicks that may survive in the wild". There is no reason why wild pheasants should not populate every county in Kansas. If wild pheasant can survive and reproduce in the Southeast corner of Missouri {Boothheel} and in the rice fields of southeast Texas they should reproduce in southeast Kansas.

Hey Preston, not sure about the post in 2016. We ran a couple surrogators for a year or two so that might have been a post about chicks for those things. In my mind we didn't have much success with them and the weekly maintenance drive (an hour one way) wasn't worth it. We ended up buying some adult birds to work some dogs on so I believe those are the ones we've been seeing. Always neat to see pheasants, wish there were more in the SE part of the state.

Every once in a blue moon I’ll see one in Chautauqua County. Always
Not much action on the Kansas board, figured I'd post a neat story. My family owns some ground in SE Kansas (an area with no wild pheasants) and 3 years ago we released some pheasants. If I remember right it was around 7 or 8 roosters and maybe 5 hens. Seen a couple of the roosters around for a year or so but since then it's just been one old rooster that comes out of the road in the mornings. Anyways, my father in-law told me a couple days ago he was cutting hay and flushed a hen pheasant and she had probably 10 little ones with her that also flushed!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, my opinion would of been to eat them birds before nature took its course by letting them free in the SEK

Back