Liberal Area

jds

I will be staying in liberal at thanksgiving. I was wondering how the hunting has been.

Do not know how good it is this year but I hunt that area every year during the week of Thanksgiving and have had my limit by noon most days hunting by myself with my dog.

We are starting off in Pawnee County next week and will probably wind up in the Liberal/Hugoton area by Thursday. I would tell you where the best areas are but then I would be shooting myself in the foot. There is plenty of WIHA in the area but it gets hit pretty hard the first couple of weeks. Some of the larger tracts hold some around the edges though.

If you see a white suburban with Texas plates in the area stop by and say hello.

Thanks Houston. Im not looking for anyones spots. Ive just seen the reports about the drought and was curious how it affected the birds. Usually what the reports say and what you actually see are two different things. Again. I dont want anyones spots just wondering how the hunting has been.

Do not know how good it is this year but I hunt that area every year during the week of Thanksgiving and have had my limit by noon most days hunting by myself with my dog.

We are starting off in Pawnee County next week and will probably wind up in the Liberal/Hugoton area by Thursday. I would tell you where the best areas are but then I would be shooting myself in the foot. There is plenty of WIHA in the area but it gets hit pretty hard the first couple of weeks. Some of the larger tracts hold some around the edges though.

If you see a white suburban with Texas plates in the area stop by and say hello.

The Pawnee county WIHA gets pounded as well. I'll be there this weekend also. Are you planning to hunt Saturday? If so, I have a small group that will be with me and we may be in the same area if you believe in strength in numbers. PM me if you're interested. We plan to start on WIHA grass, then head to some private milo fields. There are no feed fields enrolled in WIHA in the area of Pawnee that I hunt if that gives you a clue as to where I'm going.

No problem. All the fields NW of town are pretty good but get hit pretty hard. You may want to go east towards Meade to get some fresh ground. Edit - as to the forecast accuracy I have found it to be a bit pessimistic in the past regarding SW Kansas.

KB - PM on the way.

Saturday is my travel day with a late arrival at the motel so Sunday will be the first day in the field. I will have 6 others with four dogs with me so if numbers is what you want I may be able to help out. Thanks for the heads up on the WIHA pressure in that area.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day to take a mental health holiday to me.:D That is unless you are a preacher.

Last edited:
We had a group of 4 hunters and 1 dog hunt the Liberal area this past Friday through Sunday and brought home 19 birds. The wind was howling on Friday, so we really only had 2 days of good weather. Hunted one WIHA and a couple of private places. Some spots had good numbers of birds and found very few in others. Around 95% of the crops have been cut, so any thick cover around these fields seemed to hold at least a few birds. The numbers compared to last year seemed to be down, but there are still some birds around that area.

Sounds like a good day to take a mental heath holiday to me.:D That is unless you are a preacher.

Ha! Not a preacher that's for sure! Industrial maintenance supervisor = usually working Sundays. Already got too many days off scheduled for this season.......Boss says I can't take the "ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER?" off.

Good luck!!! I'll leave some birds for ya:cheers:

hunting in Liberal area

I took a party of 7 hunting mostly East of Liberal this past weekend. I think we finished up with 30 pheasants and a dozen or so quail in 2 days. we managed to flush a few birds out of everything we walked. Just didn't see the huge numbers as in past years. I'm fortunate inthat I only hunt private land and I think that's a great advantage. Personally I've never had great success in the public areas. good luck

Back