Lets talk Quail NC

RogerWYO

I have hunted the Solomon river drainage a few times in the past. This year I am looking at the upper Republican. The switch is to hopefully find more quail & better quail habitat & fewer Pheasants. I may take a few days to hunt Pheasants farther west but that is another storey. If any of you have any thoughts on this or other suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you. PM me if you are concerned about "hot spotting".
I will also be looking for camping spots with a shower close by. I hunted nearly 3 weeks in Northern Montana last month & one of the best places I camped was a water treatment plant, no hookups but a great shower. County fairgrounds can be good as well.
Also, if any of you will be in that part of the country I would enjoy meeting up with you to talk about old dogs & guns and tell lies.

RogerWYO

I have hunted the Solomon river drainage a few times in the past. This year I am looking at the upper Republican. The switch is to hopefully find more quail & better quail habitat & fewer Pheasants. I may take a few days to hunt Pheasants farther west but that is another storey. If any of you have any thoughts on this or other suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you. PM me if you are concerned about "hot spotting".
I will also be looking for camping spots with a shower close by. I hunted nearly 3 weeks in Northern Montana last month & one of the best places I camped was a water treatment plant, no hookups but a great shower. County fairgrounds can be good as well.
Also, if any of you will be in that part of the country I would enjoy meeting up with you to talk about old dogs & guns and tell lies.

RogerWYO

I like your signature at the bottom of your page!!!!! Thanks for encouraging others to introduce new folks to the outdoors. It truly is the only way we can preserve our tradition(s) for future generations.

On the quail thing, I think you're headed in the right direction. I would suggest SE KS, but it will be spotty. If you want to see more quail and fewer pheasants, go to SE KS. If you can handle the large pretty birds flushing occasionally, in an area with decent quail population, I would suggest Webster or Wilson. I know those 2 are quite a ways apart, but the quail numbers have been improving in both places and the area between those areas for awhile. There is a lot of WIHA around both of those places. There are more and more quail in what I consider pheasant country over the past few years. I saw several coveys in Osborne county last year also. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Sounds like an adventure.

Been running into too many of these nuisance fowl, huh. :p
Something like that.

I like your quote or whatever at the bottom of your page!!!!! Thanks for encouraging others to introduce new folks to the outdoors. It truly is the only way we can preserve our tradition(s) for future generations.

On the quail thing, I think you're headed in the right direction. I would suggest SE KS, but it will be spotty. If you want to see more quail and fewer pheasants, go to SE KS. If you can handle the large pretty birds flushing occasionally, in an area with decent quail population, I would suggest Webster or Wilson. I know those 2 are quite a ways apart, but the quail numbers have been improving in those areas for awhile. There is a lot of WIHA around both of those places. There are more and more quail in what I consider pheasant country over the past few years. I saw several coveys in Osborne county last year also. Good luck!!

My signature line hits close to home. My dad never had the time. That didn't happen with my kids or grand kids. My daughter & 2 granddaughters are sportsmen all the way.

Thanks for the heads up on SE KS. If I don't find what I'm looking for in NC KS I'll run down & see what that part of the state looks like. I don't mind moving around & my little pop-up camper doesn't take much to put up or take down.

"more quail in *** pheasant country" Sounds like the quail are adapting to the loss of traditional habitat.

RogerWyo

Kansas Quail

RogerWyo:

I too am seeing more birds further north and west.
It is not uncommon to move coveys in the vast CRP fields.

Southeast KS used to be ground zero....however numbers have dropped due to several major weather events (20 inches of rain) June 08 and some loss of habitiat. However this year the weather and chick production where better and numbers have improved...but they are recovering from record lows.

I have access to several large farms in SE KS which used to yield 10 to 15 coveys per visit...

This year I hope to move 3-6 coveys per??

Plan to be near Iola November 14 thru 16...w/ 2 LLew setters.

BH68

RogerWyo:

I have access to several large farms in SE KS

I'd be in SE KS for the opener if I had that kind of access down there. I pushed 5 coveys in one day last year. If I could do that every time I went quail hunting, I would probably forget about pheasant hunting altogeher. If you're interested in "swapping" a quail hunt for a pheasant hunt, let me know in a pm.

Back