Late Season

pheasantaddict

Oh the weather outside is delightful, Its time to chase roosters til nightfall. Lets go hunting, Lets go hunting, Lets go hunting! Its time to wear out the boots. Seems like a good # of roosters out there yet. With most of the corn out and a little snow on the way Christmas will be early this year for us pheasant hunters. Good Luck and See Ya in the Field, but if I'm there first please go somewhere else. Thanks.

The snow moved the birds to cover and they were holding good today. Heading out again tomorrow, should be good all week.

The snow moved the birds to cover and they were holding good today. Heading out again tomorrow, should be good all week.
Sounds like it's time for you and Little Johnny to put those 25-shell extension tubes back on your semi-auto's and get out there and smoke some roosters at close range. I remember how the feathers stuck to Little Johnny's tear-stained face the first time you showed him the true meaning of hunting by vaporizing a bird at close range while he struggled to shoulder his top-heavy, ammo-laden gun. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it now...

What about the hunting tomorrow during the blizzard? I think I may give it a shot. Shoot something or die trying right?

I think its supposed to stop snowing overnight. Might still be nasty out there if we have high winds. I quit this afternoon, as I didn't want to force birds from cover when it started to get bad.

I think I am going to jump some groves of trees mid day on some public land to see if I cant get some shooting.

Wish my late season was going that well. The snow and 40mph winds really did a job on the waterways and the edges of sloughs. Got my limit today but it was a a lot of walking. Probably my hardest day of hunting yet.

Seems most of Iowa is in a pheasant shooting situation instead of pheasant hunting with all the snow. Hope the snow melts fast to get some more hunting in.

Tried to walk a field that has been successful in the past, yesterday and I think I about died walking through that snow. Didnt see a darn thing and I was exhausted after about an hour or so of walking. Maybe I'm just that out of shape! Didnt think I was though...lol.

Shot my first birds in Iowa today. Went to a friends who as a 1/4 of CRP and creek bottom. Birds were grouped together but did not want to hold. Got a couple anyway. Lots of fluffy white stuff.

Good Hunt

Had good success in Sac and Cahoun counties this past weekend. lots of snow made for a tough hunt but we also saw lots of birds with a 15:1 hen to rooster ratio. Most bolted away just as the car door shut and others took wing 2 steps into the field. I think I'll crawl on my belly next time! But...I did happen to find a few young birds who thought they could stay and hide. Big mistake on their part.

I've been planning on a trip to NW Iowa for a while and am now concerned about the amount of snow. Do you all think it is still huntable/ worth it with all that snow?

I've been planning on a trip to NW Iowa for a while and am now concerned about the amount of snow. Do you all think it is still huntable/ worth it with all that snow?

It will be a tough go. Anything that could stop the wind and snow is drifted over. You will probably have to climb over 20 feet long snow drifts just to get inside the sloughs.

Finally shot my first bird yesterday...and then my dog and I couldnt find it because it had fallen in knee high water in cattails. Talk about a guilty conscience, I looked around for 20 minutes in the freezing ass water getting soaked with my GSP and couldnt find it. Needless to say, I was pissed, but I couldnt sacrifice my health or my dogs to find that one bird.

Within minutes of getting out of the water my boots had froze over solid. It actually helped keep the cold out, but my socks were still freezing. I hunted for over an hour longer and saw more birds (all hens), before I finally packed it in.

I was enthused that I saw some birds so hopefully I will be back to that place to find some more. I forgot how much fun it is to pheasant hunt with a fresh snow on the ground. Trackers paradise.

Back