Late Season Prairie Grouse

Fargo

I usually take two hunting trips a year. One week in November and then a longer trip in December/January. I am getting ready to head out for my second trip tomorrow and am starting off in NW Iowa for the last week of Pheasant. I am trying to figure out where I am going to go after Iowa. I have been fortunate enough to harvest several different species of birds over my dogs. Pheasant, Bobwhite, Mearns', Valley Quail, Ruffies, Woodcock, Chukar and Huns. I am quite interested in getting my dogs on some Sharpies and Chickens. I know that prairie grouse are typically hunted successfully in early season (Sept.) as they in smaller groups and are a lot more cooperative in the early season. I live on the east coast, and with my work, Sept. is a bad month for me to travel, so if I am going to get on these birds, it would have to be this time of year. I was in SD a few years back in December Pheasant hunting and saw quite a few prairie grouse, but they were all in large groups and we couldn't get within 200 yards of them.

Are these birds realistically hunted this time of year, or are they so bunched up as to be unapproachable? It seems that the Valentine, NE area is considered a prime location for prairie grouse. Is that a good place to start? Does anybody here know how much snow is on the ground in that area and what the road conditions are like? I greatly appreciate the wisdom of the veterans on this this forum!

I have hunted them in the Sandhills of Nebraska and have harvested both Prairie Chickens and Sharptails , this was in September. Birds typical in small family groups and hold for point ok , plenty got up long .

We worked the edges of the hills .

What I have seen here in Kansas that the chickens group up in big winter flocks and aren’t easy to approach .

I will send you a Pm shortly .

Back