Late Season Advice/Conditions

HuntnTeach

Hey there Ultimate friends,

My dad and I are thinking about making our first-ever late trip west around Dec 18. We usually bounce around the Huron area opening week, but may take a day to finally visit the Chamberlain area. We're exclusive to public land (unless someone is looking to give a teacher and his retired dad permission ;))

Would anyone be willing to share a little advice for this time of year, and perhaps an update on conditions in the eastern areas?

Thanks in advance!

Just got back. Crops are just about all in. Bird numbers are about average. Talked to several locals that were dealing with covid so be careful.
If you work hard you will have enough opportunities to score. Don't trust the ice in sloughs to hold you.

Good to know! I appreciate it.
Have you ever tried the Chamberlain area? We usually avoid that early season due to hunter numbers, but I'm kinda hoping this time of year things chill out a bit?

We just came back Sunday and hunted further west than Chamberlain. We saw a couple other groups of bird hunters but not many. Our group all agreed bird numbers were up compared to 2019 in the areas we hunt.

I appreciate the continued updates 👍 I'm still trying to decide if a spur of the moment (weather) is worth the $ so close to the holidays.
I just need to move out there!

I appreciate the continued updates 👍 I'm still trying to decide if a spur of the moment (weather) is worth the $ so close to the holidays.
I just need to move out there!
I think it's worth it. I decided last week to plan my trip for this coming weekend. SD always seems to be a spur of the moment state for me.

Back